Can I ask for some help deciding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie1984, Nov 17, 2016.

1. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

hi all,

I am eying up a MacBook Pro 2016 with touch bar.

I'll start by saying I'm not a pro at all so don't use high powered programs etc.

What does confuse me as someone who know a bit but not much about computers, will a MacBook with 8gb ram be sufficient for everyday browsing with several windows open, photos app, Spotify etc? I made the mistake of googling what page ins and outs were when I saw them on istat and I've also read on here about OS X using a lot of ram?

I do also have the most basic surface 3 with 2gb of ram and that doesn't miss a beat so I assume 8gb should be more than enough?

Thanks for any enlightenment

2. ascender macrumors 68020

Based on your post, yes, 8GB will be more than adequate for what you need to do.

3. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

A MacBook with 8 GB of RAM will be overkill for anything you're currently doing. You should be just fine.

4. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Agreed, you'll do great with 8 GB of RAM and assuming your needs remain relatively the same, you'll be fine for several years. Congrats on your (future) MBP...you're going to love it!

6. Davefevs macrumors member

Davefevs

Similar boat to you. Easy to be put off by the 'pro' users on here. I'm happy that my base 13" with touch bar will last me a good number of years.

7. ascender macrumors 68020

As I've said in other threads, I've been surprised by the base MBP and I've got no trouble editing 4K video footage in iMove which I'm guessing is one of the use cases which is pushing the system a bit?

8. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

You should be good. I really liked my base 13" without touch bar but on the last day of my return period I returned it to purchase the base with touch bar. It should be at home when I get off work this evening. People get hung up on maxed out ****. I've done it actually I am still thinking about but I know I'll never push my MacBook. I was thinking about a 15" but seeing the graphic card issues people are having I decided to stay in the 13" world. I am coming from a 2012 15" that had that same graphics issue. It was never corrected, so after Apple Care ran out I sold it.

You'll be good with the 13"