Can I assume car-connector compatibility?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Tokend, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Tokend macrumors newbie

My 2005 car (bought used) has an iPod connector, which I have verified to work with an iPod Classic. The connector is a white cable with an iPod connector on the end. The cable runs from, presumably, the back of the built-in radio/cd unit, to a cup-holder by the gear shift. When in use, controls and displays are on the iPod, not on the built-in display.

Now, I want to buy an iPod Touch 2G. Can I assume that a 2G will work with this same connector? If not, does anyone know where can I go for a try-before-buy test?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. nohite macrumors member

Go ahead and buy the new touch. It will still play through your car stereo except that it will probably not charge the new ipod. There will be new adapters coming out soon which will enable charging, like this one:

http://scosche.com/products/productID/1667

I bought the new ipod touch and now I am just waiting for the right adapter for my car to come out.

3. Tokend thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, nohite. Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, too, for the tip about adapters for charging.

I'm curious about one thing you said, though. What would constitute "the right adapter" for your car? Are there that many different types of iPod connectors in cars?

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The ipod connector you refer to is known to us as the 30 pin connector. Recently (after months of warnings from apple) They changed the way they worked and no longer allow for firewire charging which is at a certain voltage. The connector will function, it just may not charge. The adapters I assume change the voltage to allow for charging.

5. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

Yes, this is exactly the case. I have a 2006 Scion tC that I bought new with the iPod connector and it worked fine with the older model ipods, but it will only charge my 2g touch.

6. nohite macrumors member

Since this is new I want to see what kinds of adapters companies can come up with. It can be just like the adapter shown in the link, or a short cable with a male and female connector on each end. I also have Logitech speaker that won't charge the new ipod. A cable solution maybe better since a touch with a case may not fit into the dock. Who knows, I may end up buying both types since I need 2 anyway.

7. Tokend thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, everybody

One iPod Touch 2G, coming up.