Can I at least use my 3Gs as a touch for now?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ssajous, Apr 20, 2010.

1. ssajous macrumors member

Here is my sad situation. I have a 3GS from Orange that I had JB/unlocked for the US. Long story short, an update to 3.1.3 by mistake and now it is not JB or unlocked anymore. Is there a way I could jailbreak it at all now and at least use it as a touch and wait for the possibility, however slim of an unlock of the new firmware, baseband etc...?

2. jtara macrumors 65816

You don't "need" to jailbreak. Jailbreak is only so you can install malware-infested apps on your phone. ;)

"unlock" allows you to run the phone on a different network than was intended.

There are software unlocks, that do require that you first jailbreak (in order to install the software unlock). But these only work for hardware/firmware combinations.

But you can get a hardware unlock. They are quite inexpensive. The best ones are a thin "piggyback" card that you slip in along with the SIM card from your carrier.

I don't see any reason, though, that you couldn't simply go to an AT&T or Apple store, sign up for an AT&T iPhone plan, and install the AT&T SIM. That's assuming, of course, that you are in the country permanently or long enough to make this worth-while.

3. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Get someone to send you an orange Sim and you should be able to activate it, then use it without the sim.

4. lily69 macrumors regular

Do you have any links about this? I don't want JB but I do want to unlock my iPhone, so when I travel, I can put any SIM card I like to save roaming fees.
    Thanks.

5. ssajous thread starter macrumors member

I know I don't HAVE to jailbreak but an orange iPhone can only work here if it is unlocked.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

kind of hard to know someone with an Orange SIM since it doesn't exist in the US.

7. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

But its not hard to know someone in the UK (im guessing), especially if you bought the phone/come from there.
    You are aware of such a thing as airmail?

8. ssajous thread starter macrumors member

I got it from France and I don't know anyone who has a SIM who could give me one there no. Most people I know are on SFR like I am when I am there.