Can I attach a Blu-ray player to an iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andypullen, Jan 25, 2008.

1. andypullen macrumors member

andypullen

My wife and I were dreaming about having a HDTV some day to watch Blu-ray movies, when we realized we practically have one in the form of a 24" iMac. I am wondering if I can somehow get an HDMI input into the iMac, so that I could connect a Blu-ray player to it to watch movies. I know that I would have to have some kind of a software solution that would playback the image coming through the HDMI, but is something out there that I could buy? I'm thinking something like EyeTV (except it has an analog input, not HDMI). Thanks for your help and thoughts!

Edit: Sorry if this is a repeat... I tried searching both the forums and Google for an answer to my query with no luck.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You would also need software in terms of drivers for the Blu-Ray drive and the appropriate media player to render the Blu-Ray movie.

Short answer, no, this is not feasible yet.

3. andypullen thread starter macrumors member

andypullen

Sorry for muddying this up... I don't necessarily want an external Blu-ray drive that's made for a computer plugged in via USB or something else, but a home theater ready Blu-Ray player that would normally be plugged into an HDTV via HDMI. I don't know if I was understood and I am misunderstanding you. Thanks for your help.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

It won't work as the screens not HDCP under Mac or as a separate screen I.E no Mac OS X running just the screen

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I know you can burn Blu-Ray disks with Toast 8

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, you have to play them back on a Blu-ray player though - Mac OS X cannot playback high-def discs (yet...)

7. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I saw you post that HERE if you read my post i say it can't play with Toast only burn Data Disc, This guy wants to play them.

8. LionsKiss macrumors member

You can boot into Windows XP via bootcamp and run Blu-Ray in that way...assuming the connection to the screen is HDCP