Can I automatically BOUNCE a message in Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mikebike125, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Somehow I got on a spam list that wants to sell me everything and I go in and manually bounce the messages when they end up in my Junk mailbox. I know I can automatically delete the messages but is there a way to automatically bounce them? From what I understand, bouncing the message will help slow down getting these messages in the first place.

Can you help??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure what you mean by "bounce", but you certainly don't want anything going back to the sender... that would indicate yours is a valid address and you'll get even more spam. You're better off just deleting it and not replying in any way.

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Could you do something like in the attached picture? (Go to Mail > Preferences... >Rules)

Be aware that replying to the message may just make the spammer aware that your account is active, and continue sending you spam.

Attached Files:

4. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Bounce is a feature of Mail. When you bounce somebody, it sends an email that makes it look as if the original message was sent to an invalid address.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where can that feature be configured? I don't see it in Mail preferences.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

"Bounce" actually sends the email back to sender as an invalid recipient email address. Can be helpful if it was a valid address sending the email/spam but most aren't. I don't know of a way to auto-bounce. I use it to return emails to aholes I don't want knowing I'm still alive.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you accomplish that?

8. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Just right click on any message in your inbox and choose "bounce".

an example "bounced email" i sent in response to an email I received from some whach-o. (i took out my address for obvious reasons)

Attached Files:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No way to automate it for all junk mail?

Woah!!!! THAT's not cool! I highlighted several junk messages and bounced them. My Inbox filled up with Delivery Status Notification messages. I'm sure lots of spammers spoof their addresses, so bouncing doesn't work. It's better to have junk mail automatically be dumped in the Junk folder and just empty it with a click, rather than have to go through the Inbox, deleting delivery status notification messages, resulting from the bounce!

10. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Well, I never knew that. Thanks!

11. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

So is the best way to lessen the SPAM just to have it Auto delete instead of bounce?

What do you think?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's what I did: Mail > Preferences > Junk

Attached Files:

13. portent macrumors 6502a

14. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Well considering that the vast majority of spam has fake From information all you do by bouncing a message is spam some other poor soul who has had their email address hijacked by scumbags so delete is always the best option.

15. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125