Can I awaken sleeping MB Pro with networked iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by flanamac, Apr 6, 2009.

1. flanamac macrumors 6502

Ok, I will try and explain this without writing a book.

Here is the setup:

1) MB Pro Jan' 09 17 inch with Leopard (main computer/server)
    2) iMac 20 inch with Tiger
    3) Main files used on external USB hard drive on MB Pro
    4) MB Pro and iMac connected via wireless airport express and full file sharing turned on (I can see, read and write all drives from each computer just fine so sharing is working fine)

Question is this: If the iMac needs a file from the external HD connected to the MB Pro while the MB Pro is in sleep, is there a way to wake it up from the iMac, use what is needed, then allow the following inactivity to leave the MB Pro to go back to sleep?

Thanks for any help.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes you can wake a Mac over LAN - but the target Mac (and I think the one issuing the wake up call) have to be wired. Won't work over wireless.

Here's one way of doing it (I haven't tried this) http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020220095929695

The original hint is from 2002, but there are comments from 2008, so presumably it still works.

Edit: Hmm, I did a bit more research and it looks like wireless WOL (wake-on-lan) might work now. But I'm at work and don't have two Macs handy to test it out. It would be useful for me ...

Edit 2: The target must be wired. Sorry.