Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
So my GF is coming to visit me at school today and I don't want to have her bring her laptop, but we're gonna be going to the Apple Store this weekend to get her defective iPhone replaced, but I'm not sure if I can just back her white iPhone onto my MacBook. I'm not sure how it works with music especially since I have my own songs on iTunes and she obviously has her own music that she wants to back up and reload onto her new one.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
When you plug it in to a different computer it will tell you it needs erased and synced. You can't backup the same iPhone on two computers. But you can backup 2 iPhones on one computer.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
You can sync it but it will erase anything one hers and add anything on your computer to her iPod. It will ask if you want to do this when you plug it in. If you click no then it will charge it but won't actually sync it. My advise is for her to wait until she gets home so she can sync it with her own stuff.

vitasenza

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
It is sort of possible. you can extract all the music on her phone with free programs, and save it into a playlist for her.
I've helped a friend put music onto his iPhone this way. The only problem that comes (for me anyway) is that his phone now has my iTunes account attatched to it. I suppose I could have worked around that if I had his account name and password signed in, but oh well.

But, yeah a laptop wont be that big of a pain to bring along, and it'll make tihngs much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.