Can I back up my MBP using Time machine on my Imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richard371, Apr 2, 2010.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have an Imac with a huge USB drive thats running time machine. I also want to back up my MBP. Is it possible to back it up via wifi to that drive?

Thanks

2. The General macrumors 601

No. Plug the Time Machine drive into the MacBook Pro and back it up that way.

3. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

will that create a separate folder for the MBP?

so it will be easy to distinguish the 2?

4. The General macrumors 601

you can divide the drive into two partitions - one for your imac backup and one for your macbook backup. then they would be easy to distinguish the two. but no distinguishing needs to be made as time machine automatically chooses which to backup where and which to access when engaged.

5. andyboutte macrumors member

That is incorrect.

although you could do that it could waste space depending on how much changed data you have on each machine.

The best solution is to keep the drive attached to your iMac and in system preferences -> sharing -> files sharing add privileges to your drive for your user. on your MBP go to the time machine preferences -> choose a drive and you will see the USB drive attached to your iMac. keep in mind that to back your MBP your iMac and your USB drive will both need to me on.

6. germanix macrumors member

"The best solution is to keep the drive attached to your iMac and in system preferences -> sharing -> files sharing add privileges to your drive for your user. on your MBP go to the time machine preferences -> choose a drive and you will see the USB drive attached to your iMac. keep in mind that to back your MBP your iMac and your USB drive will both need to me on."