Can I backup on iOS 7 beta 3 and restore to new device?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DaBlackMamba, Jul 25, 2013.

1. DaBlackMamba, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

DaBlackMamba macrumors member

I am an Apple Dev with my UDID registered. I have an iPhone 5, and recently the sleep/power button has become unresponsive. I need to get the phone replaced, however, the replacement phones that Apple give come with iOS 6, not 7.

Will I be able to make a backup on iOS 7 Beta 3 and then get the new phone from Apple and restore it to that backup? Anyone have any information/directions on how to do this safely & successfully?

EDIT: I found out that I will need to register the UDID of the new device, which won't be possible till Apple's Dev Center is back up and running :(

2. Jakimo macrumors 6502

Sure, that should work fine.

Install iOS 7 then restore from your backup, just as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. zmagik macrumors regular

From what I know it should work if you have IOS 7 beta 3 on your new phone but not 100%

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not with iOS 6 on the phone. You cannot restore an iOS 7 backup to a phone with iOS 6. You would have to get the new phone, add its UDID to your developer account (which you couldn't do until the dev center is back up). Then, you would have to update your new phone to iOS 7 beta 3, and then you could restore your backup to the device.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

The new phone will need to have iOS 7 installed.

6. DaBlackMamba thread starter macrumors member

Ah shoot, so I am going to need to get my UDID registered again. Thanks for the heads up, I had forgotten it was based on the device, not the account. I will wait till Apple restarts their Dev Center before I get my phone exchanged then.

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Yep, you'll have to add the new phone in the dev portal (might as well delete the old one too). I had to do that when I got my phone replaced, and couldn't figure out why Xcode wouldn't let me test my app on my phone... totally slipped my mind, lol. Easy fix though. :cool:

8. Kackei macrumors newbie

Put your device in recovery mode and then try restoring your device using iTunes.

9. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Just setup new device as new on IOS6 (Skip all the options like Apple iD/iCLOUD), etc ...

Select Option+Update and select the B3 ipsw , let it upgrade ... once back on homescreen just restore the latest iOS6 Backup you had

It doesnt need UDID in this way (for now!) , once Apple site is backup just add in the UDID to your account

(I did this yesterday to one of my new device 2 days ago)