Can I batch rename in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johneaston, May 17, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

But I also want to append a sequential number to the end of each file (ie Family Guy 10.1, Family Guy 10.2 etc.).

I can do it in iPhoto so know I must be able to do it in Finder - just can't see where.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't without downloading something like Name Mangler or NameChanger.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Automator will do it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Name Mangler is my tool of choice for this.

5. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

£5.99?! For something I'll use a handful of times (and something Finder really should be able to do already). Thanks, but no thanks.

6. MacBoobsPro, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Use Automator, it comes with OSX!

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I got it when it was free and never upgraded to the paid version, since the free version works quite well. I keep forgetting that they charge for it now.

8. simsaladimbamba

Does Windows Explorer do that?

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Unfortunately this is a Windows only feature, right now.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you only need it a handful of times, it won't cost anything.

11. simsaladimbamba

Ah, I did use some kind of search engine (they really exist) and found this:
    How to Batch Rename Files in Windows XP
    That is a pretty, nifty, faqing feature.
    But maybe Apple regards batch renaming as low profile, as only a handful of people really use it. I only batch renamed files once or twice since 2004, and maybe twice from 1993 to 2004.
    And I work with lots and lots of files.

12. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try Automator (if I can work out how the hell to use it - never managed to get it to do anything in the past).

Really disappointed Finder can't do such a simple thing (especially when iPhoto can).

13. notjustjay, May 17, 2011

notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

It's really not that bad once you set up the Automator action.

Assuming Snow Leopard:

Fire up Automator. It will pop up a "wizard" - select "Service" when it asks you what type of action to create.

The pane on the left lists all of the possible actions you can automate. Look for the Finder action called "Rename files" and drag it into the workspace on the right. Automator will warn that you might want to ask it to make a copy of the files first before you change them. Tell it no, you don't want to copy the files, because you actually do want to rename the originals.

This action allows you to do all sorts of rename tasks, like batch renaming, changing file case, etc. In the little Options pane under the action, check the "Show this action when the workflow runs" box.

Save it and quit, you're done. Call it "Batch Rename" or something.

Now go back to Finder, select some files, and right-click. You'll see your new action -- "Batch Rename" -- as an option at the bottom of the menu. Select it, and you'll see the dialog box where you can choose how you want to rename them.

You can use similar actions to do all kinds of useful things. In addition to renaming your images you can also choose to resize them down, for example, to 50% of the original size, or to fit within X pixels wide. Useful for uploading to websites.

14. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's nearly half an hour of trying to figure out Automator and many warning boxes and I give up.

I guess I'll just have to do it manually.

15. GGJstudios, May 17, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not use Name Mangler, as recommended? You would have been finished with renaming by now. This is why I rarely use Automator. Too much set up time.

16. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

It seemed to work to this point - no option in the menu. When you say "check off" do you mean tick or untick?

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Sorry, yes, I did mean turn it on. "Check off" being a compound word that I didn't realize would confuse you. My fault.

If you check that box so it's ON, Automator will pop up the same options dialog box every time you run the action. That way you can change up the settings each time you run it. If you set it to be OFF, then it assumes you will populate all of the settings right now and will always use those same settings.

For example, I set up a workflow last night that actually uses the "rename files" box twice. The first time, I've set it to change all the entire filenames to lowercase, and the checkbox is OFF so it doesn't ask me about it. Then the action feeds the newly-renamed files into a second box, where it's set to rename sequentially, and the checkbox is ON so I can specify how I want the files renamed.

I'm not sitting at my Mac right now otherwise I would have provided screenshots to help you along. I hope you can figure it out based on the instructions. It sounds like you were pretty close...

18. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - it's the Americanisation thing. I've often read 'check the box' and know that means to tick the box, so guessed check off meant to take the tick off. Confusing!

Like when Americans say 'swap out' instead of just swap. Can you 'swap in' something?!