Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I wanted to visit a person who I knows website, but I didn’t want the website to be able to identify me so I used the Opera VPN, I know the owner of the website so didn’t want them to know I was visiting their site, my question is are websites able to identify visitors who use Opera VPN, or will all of my personal information be kept private. Thanks

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A VPN doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your personal info, things that can be tracked by IP will be more prevented, but data exposure could be the same - however, that's only by way of there being a mechanism, i.e., if you're logging in, you're ID'ed, if you're just surfing anonymously, and through a VPN, probably not.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
A VPN doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your personal info, things that can be tracked by IP will be more prevented, but data exposure could be the same - however, that's only by way of there being a mechanism, i.e., if you're logging in, you're ID'ed, if you're just surfing anonymously, and through a VPN, probably not.

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate your help

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I wanted to visit a person who I knows website, but I didn’t want the website to be able to identify me so I used the Opera VPN, I know the owner of the website so didn’t want them to know I was visiting their site, my question is are websites able to identify visitors who use Opera VPN, or will all of my personal information be kept private. Thanks

Well this sounds legit!

Paul, sorry for using your first name, Anonymous just called saying you need to defrag and good luck after you reboot.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
you MAC address may be an exposure; i read (this is a maybe) using your iPhone as a hotSpot may mask the MAC adr but there are methods using apple's terminal.
things might be good enough as is, tho not stand up in federal court.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

VPN is not a one-stop solution Your VPN provider knows your IP,,, it must to in order to connect... They may not log, but its in memory... That means they can technically extract it if they choose.. So technically, while more private over encrypted tunnel does't make it invisible.

Plus no one needs to track an IP anyway, when more people post personal info over encrypted connections as "bait & hook" attempt..

Who needs to track an IP, when you just just profile people and get the same data?

Not a direct way, but its much more reliable. If for instance a VPN provider won't co-operate. Still trust.

This is why i never let info out regardless of connection...You could have the toughest encryption in the world, i still won't trust you unless i want to.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
VPN is not a one-stop solution Your VPN provider knows your IP,,, it must to in order to connect... They may not log, but its in memory... That means they can technically extract it if they choose.. So technically, while more private over encrypted tunnel does't make it invisible.

Plus no one needs to track an IP anyway, when more people post personal info over encrypted connections as "bait & hook" attempt..

Who needs to track an IP, when you just just profile people and get the same data?

Not a direct way, but its much more reliable. If for instance a VPN provider won't co-operate. Still trust.

This is why i never let info out regardless of connection...You could have the toughest encryption in the world, i still won't trust you unless i want to.

So... you have NO online accounts of any kind?
Not sure I believe that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.