Can I block someone in the political section but not the rest of the forums?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by EnderBeta, Feb 23, 2017.

1. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Is it possible to block someone in the political section but not the rest of the forums?

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Yeah. You just block the person specifically. I use Tapatalk so I'm not quite sure how to do so through the website. However, I think it should give you the option when you click on their name and go to their profile?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Wouldn't that block the user across the whole site though?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can ignore a person but that's a global setting, i.e., entire site.

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Yeah, I think I misread when I responded.

I'm guessing that the best bet is to just ignore their posts in PRSI right? If they really want to not have them on permanent ignore across the board that is.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While - perhaps inevitably - there are posters on this forum I dislike, and others whose views I find repellant, personally, I do not actually block anybody, and never have.

Now, there are occasion when I might not devote my full attention to some posts, as I may doubt that they have much merit, but I will still skim them, rather than block the person who posted them.

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

On the other hand I've got about 10 regular PRSI users blocked as all the do is post trash that has absolutely nothing to add to any kind of adult debate.

Their posts are just noise.

8. Scepticalscribe, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, gosh, yes, I know what you mean and it is possible that I can speculate about whom you mean.

Yes, there are posts which are just shouting and venting and posting repetitive rubbish - pure drivel - and, agreed, they add little of worth to any discussion.

9. arkitect, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017

arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Personally I have used the ignore / block function a few times.

10. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Well, for the most part, the "usual suspects" in PRSI don't actually post (let alone, make any positive contributions) to other areas of MR. As a side note, I find that pretty funny: spending 50-100 posts a day worth of time, in a political sub-forum, on a site dedicated to Apple products :D

11. belvdr macrumors 603

I'm sure I ruffled a few feathers over the years. But as time goes on, people change, and I have too. I apologize if I upset someone enough they had to block me. Of course, they'll never see this if they blocked me.

12. EnderBeta thread starter macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Lately it seems when I come here looking to talk Macs no one is talking about the Mac any more. :(

BTW I love your use of Homer Simpson as your avatar. I never thought when that show came out that it would last not through my childhood but also into much of my adult life too. It's a generational show.

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I think you are correct. Even funnier, or perhaps sad, is that all that time is not accomplishing one damned thing.

Mike

14. EnderBeta thread starter macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

It accomplishes raising the blood pressure. I've been sucked in a few times and yesterday I came to the realization that I really dislike that aspect of this forum and I'm going to try my darnedest to not get sucked into another one of those ridiculous debates.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Tick the PRSI box and you'll never get sucked in again. ;)

16. EnderBeta thread starter macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Wow thanks I didn't even know that feature existed.

17. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I still enjoy reading Apple related content, hardware, software, ATV, Watch, dev topics, if I have an Apple related question, searching MR is still my first option - and this has been a great place to score terrific deals on equipment (I've never had a transaction issue).

re: The Simpsons, I know, right? We run them in the "background" all the time, via FXNOW (who has _every_ episode).

Current favorite moment, from 'Homer the Great'

Homer: What do they do? What don't they do? Oh, they do so many things they never stop. Oh, the things they do there, my stars.

Lisa: You don't know what they do there, do you?

Homer: Not as such, no.

:D

Hahaha, well, I guess to each their own, I mean, maybe for some folks it's cathartic, for some it's simple confirmation bias, others I'm assuming just like conflict. I mostly take 99% of PRSI with a grain of salt, but I'll admit, I'm occasionally educated on a topic :)

Per the other response, I had _no_ idea that feature existed.

18. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I did this a looooong time ago. lol

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

To be fair I'm guilty of this also.

Unfortunately the rest of MR is wading through masses of "Apple r rubbish" posts to occasionally find a gem of a post or some information your need now.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed, but, to me, equally tiresome are the "If Steve was alive...." posts and threads written in tones of whispering awestruck adulation.