Can I boot an externally mounted 2.5" SATA from an iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Inyourfacepunk, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Inyourfacepunk macrumors newbie

K heres the shortened story:

I had a nice macbook 1.83ghz, it was great. but my dumb**** friend decided it would be funny to shoot te screen with a bb gun because he had previously shot it with an airsoft gun and it didn't break. so the screen broke, and its a huge pain in the ass to hook it up to a display because the DVI thing is all screwy, with the 2 screens and u have to drag and drop.

so I thought i should get a external hard drive dock (or bay or whatever) and then hold down option when my dad's imac boots up and boot off my har drive.

Would this work? They're both running leopard.
    2: if it doesn't work, how would i go about recovering music, etc. off the laptop hard drive.

This is really, really urgent so thanks so much for the help!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Buy a FireWire cable, use it to connect the two computers, and boot to target disk mode.

3. Shownarou macrumors regular

If you put your hard drive in an external enclosure, you don't need to boot off of it to get at your data. You should be able to just hook it up to your dads iMac and the drive will be on the desktop for you to pillage. :p

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

sending your friend the bill for repairing the computer would be a good idea, followed by getting a new friend.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Maybe he can be replaced under warranty.