can I build an app without an iphone or ipad?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Graeme12, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Graeme12 macrumors newbie

So can I build an app without an iphone or an ipad? (im going to spend sometime working with c objective on my laptop and desktop but I dont own either of the products I intend the app to be used on. Can I just build the app and at a later point test it on the ipad/iphone or do I need those to develop and design it.

thanks in advance : )

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can build the app and use the emulators. However, obviously, you'll want actual devices at some point. However, yes, you can build and test with the emulator and no attached physical devices.

3. Graeme12 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i thought there must be something like that so thats great news. Just have to try and learn a few things now.... : )

4. bjpad2 macrumors member

Here is how it was as of a year+ ago, I don't know if this explanation is 100% current: You can download the development environment and run it for free. You have to have an Intel-based mac to do this. The development environment contains an on-screen emulator of the actual device. In order to load apps on your device you have to pay a fee to Apple and become a registered developer, it was $100 back then, then you have the ability to load your apps directly onto a limited number of devices. As a registered developer, once you have finished testing an app you can submit it to the app store.