Can i build in a gps chip in ipad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Edwinjanssen, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Edwinjanssen macrumors newbie

Does anybody know this? I want to use my ipad in my car 4 navigation without the use of my iphone.

Can anybody tell me if that is even possible?

With kind regards

Edwinjanssen@gmail.com

2. Zodiak macrumors regular

I have heard that if you have the Wifi model you can use some method of determining where you are through wifi hotspots as you move around but I am not exactly sure how that works.

I also know that you can tether your iPad to a GPS through bluetooth or some manner which will give you a far more accurate reading then the assisted gps inside of the ipad.

If you have the 3g version then all you need to do is get a GPS software from the Appstore. I use the Tomtom app which is more expensive then some of the others but I find to be one of the better.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Short answer is no.

Buy any 3G iPad and you'll have a GPS.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

There are several GPS receivers for less than $100 that are designed for wifi only iPads. Try searching Amazon.

5. kguerrero macrumors newbie

6. Edwinjanssen thread starter macrumors newbie

I already use it in my car or boat with tetering. I thought the main boards were the same, and so thought it was easy to just order an intern chip and place it.

----------

That is a nice bluetooth gps. But i wanted it inside the ipad. I will continue my search!