can i build up a PowerBook 4.1?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bonzai42, Jan 21, 2009.

1. bonzai42 macrumors newbie

We recently picked up an old iBook from a friend of ours, and I am at a loss with it. I've used PCs my entire life so I'm in uncharted waters, but my girlfriend has grown pretty attached to this little Mac and I'd like to build it up if that's possible.

The deal:

Mac OS X version 10.4.11

Machine Model: PowerBook 4.1
    Processor: 500 MHz PowerPC G3
    Memory: 128 MB SDRAM

I believe the hard drive is a MATSHITA CR-177 with a whopping 9.24 GB!

What would be our options with this little beast?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I have that exact model myself. The memory can be upgraded to 576 MB with the addition of a 512 MB stick (PC100), you can add an AirPort card if it doesn't have one, and you can upgrade the hard drive with any 2.5" ATA drive.

I've got the 512 on order now. If you want to go to 320 I can just give you the 256 MB stick that's in here at the moment. It's a little sluggish but usable. I'm not sure how performance on the 512 will be, but I'll let you know.

More info on your model of iBook is here, and my thread asking for advice on upgrading memory is here. The memory and AirPort card upgrade should be easy, the hard drive not so much.

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

As Blue implies, the HDD swap involves pretty much disassembling the unit. Not for the faint of heart.
    Memory and an airport card addition are just a matter of powering down, including battery removal, and sliding the keyboard off using the tabs at the upper corners next to the screen.

PS, stick with 10.4.11

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Definitely. It's not actually possible to install Leopard on a G3 machine, at least not without some monkeying about. I'm sure it has been done, but why one would want to is beyond me.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. bonzai42 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. gamer2502 macrumors regular

To run leopard on a g3 or low g4 you use target disk mode with a computer that does work with leopard and have the leopard disk in the computer you are targeting and tell it to boot from the dvd. http://tinyurl.com/dykgbr

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, but why the hell would I want to? It has enough trouble running Tiger...