Can I buy a BTO macbook pro at an apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by moworks2, Nov 7, 2007.

1. moworks2 macrumors member

I was wondering if I can buy a BTO mbpro at an apple store and if yes is it like order it and wait for it to come in?...do they have anything besides the standard models in the stores?

I'd buy my own ram and install but was wondering about upgrading the size of the original hd...

I've never bought a 'puter from an apple store...always ordered online, my last in 2000 from someone like macconnection or maczones or something like that...

thanks for any help and experience you might have had doing this...

M

2. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

I have asked the Apple Store before about this and they said that for BTO machines (regardless of model), you *have* to order them through the Apple Online Store. This adds about a week to your shipping time (I'm in the UK).

Oh yeah, the HDD is 2.5" 5,400 RPM and the RAM is DDR2 PC5300. I think you can swap either out yourself, but I think matched pairs is the way to go as far as RAM is concerned.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

4. moworks2 thread starter macrumors member

southern, empty cup...thanks for the info...kind regards...

M

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Some carry varying confirguations. Just call a local store and ask if they have a model in stock with the specs you want. RAM I believe is the only in-store upgrade they will do.

6. Sojourn macrumors member

When I bought my MBP, I was told that they didn't have RAM in-store, so they couldn't do that upgrade, nor did they have any hard drives, etc. They did have, in addition to the stock models, what they referred to as the "Ultimate Edition" MBP -- the top processor speed (at the time, 2.4 GHz), 17-inch High-Resolution screen (matte), 7200 RPM 160 GB hard drive, 2 GB of RAM. In short, pretty much everything at its highest except for the RAM -- which I didn't mind, since the RAM upgrade costs $700 from Apple, as opposed to ~$200 elsewhere. It was really great to get the HD screen and the 7200 RPM internal hard drive right in store, though.

My recommendation would be to call the individual store directly, and ask them what they have. That way, they can tell you what they physically have in stock (and when they might be getting more/others), and there won't be any confusion. They can even hold something for you for the day, if you know you're going to be in later that day, and don't want someone else to buy it before you (I did that with my MBP).

Hope this helps!

Take care,
    Sojourn