Can I Buy A Mac During An iPhone Launch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lifeinhd, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I hope this is the best place for this thread.

I ordered a custom rMBP a few days ago, shipped to an Apple Store for pick up. They said it should be there on the 18th. I'll also be getting a new iPhone, and since that's supposed to launch on the 21st, I thought I might as well get both at the same time. Is that possible? Will they let me wait in an iPhone line, buy my phone, and say "oh by the way, I also have a Mac waiting for me?" Can I also buy an accessory (Time Capsule) at the same time? Or do they dedicate their stores exclusively to iPhone folks during launch days?

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

No, they will not allow you to by a $2k+ notebook during and iPhone launch. :D

The store is open, you can buy whatever you want as long as your willing to deal with the crowds.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can buy an iPhone @ launch, you wait in line but you may be able to pass that line if you're buying the Mac as well. My guess though is you will have to wait until the store officially opens to buy the Mac regardless of what line you're in early in the morning.

4. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

In my country, these iphone/ipad launches happen midnight, after the store is already closed, they open again specially for these devices.

5. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I don't know if it has changed, but on the day the iPhone 3G launched they wouldn't let anyone else in the Apple store that wasn't buying the iPhone.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Same thing here in my local Apple store for all the iPhone launches since 3G.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I was in line to buy the iPad on the day it launched. I got the impression that while they were focused on selling iPads, I could buy anything else I wanted. Apple would be foolish to turn away money, especially over $2K as boomhower pointed out. The down side would be the amount of attention you would get relative to the amount of attention you deserve for such a major purchase. I would rather pick up a rMBP before iPhone launch day so I get their undivided attention and then return for the iPhone 5 later on. But I only live 20 minutes from two Apple stores so I have that luxury. If it's a long trip to your Apple store, I would think you could just show up planning to get both items. Why not call ahead and let them know ahead of time? Apple prides themselves on attentive customer service. In fact, why not go online right now and reserve an appointment for that day? It's far enough in advance no appointments should be taken yet and hopefully they haven't "blacked out" that date for appointments. I believe they called them "personal shopping" appointments the last time I checked. I just went online and tried to set it up, saying I wanted a rMBP for business. I filled in all the data thinking I could get to a page with dates to reserve. What I got was "we will contact you shortly". I'll (regrettably) have to let them know I was just testing, but if you do the same you should be able to get them to make a reservation for you even on the day the iPhone 5 launches. And yes a business can have 1 employee and an occupation of software developer.;)

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just order online and get free shipping. Probably no new Mac announced at the keynote today.

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Last year the store was only open early for iPhone purchases, for general purchases you had to wait until 9am.

10. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I've already paid for the computer, just shipped it to store (long story as to why I did that).

2.5 hours here. I'd much rather make the trip once :eek:

I think that is what I will do, to be 100% certain.

Thanks for the help guys!

11. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

For anyone who cares~ just spoke to the Christiana Mall Apple Store in DE, they said it'd be fine. She also mentioned I could preorder and pick up the phone in store, and I said "really? You're doing reservations this year?" and there was a pause and she said "...I dunno, we'll find out more tomorrow I guess." Not sure if she just leaked something, or she's clueless as the rest of us, or she doesn't know the difference between "preordering" and "reserving."