Can I buy a MacBook with 1TB hard disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dup, Jan 7, 2011.

1. dup macrumors newbie

I need storage of 1TB. I don't want to use an external. Is there a Mac with the capacity for 1TB? I want it portable, not a desktop.

Thanks for your advice :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can buy a MacBook and then upgrade the HD to 1TB from aftermarket. Apple does not offer more than 500GB

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Going from the standard size of 250GB to 500GB when ordering from Apple is a difference of $150; for $150, you can get one of the best performing hard disk drives such as the Western Digital Scorpio Black, Seagate Momentus, Samsuing T, and many others which will have numerous advantages over any drive purchased from Apple. Then you will be left with 25-50 dollars which you should spend on beer to celebrate the savings of money and acquisition of a premium hard drive for less.

4. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Did you think there was a hidden section of apple.com that would let you upgrade past a 500GB HD (or 512GB SSD)? :eek:

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

if only :(

6. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Google works fast! I was not familiar with that drive so I Googled it and the first result was your post less than 10 minutes eariler!

7. dup thread starter macrumors newbie

Upgrading to a 1TB drive

Thanks people. Very helpful.

If you buy a MacBook and upgrade it to 1TB:

1. Is it still covered by the warranty? What if you need to take it in for repair?

2. Is it easy to install the new disk? How about installing OSX, I guess you need the original disc?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Yes, unless you damage something while doing it. It is advised to put the original parts back if you have to send it to Apple in order to avoid issues (e.g. the HD appears to be bad and they replace it with the stock 250GB).

2. Video tutorial. All Macs come with install discs so just use them to reinstall the OS X

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Oopsies! I meant SpinPoint; I have no idea where the T came from :confused:

OP, if you are using a Mac for only a temporary amount of time and have stated that you will never switch to a Mac, why put a 1TB drive in the MBP?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1075916

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Currently there is a 1TB 5400rpm disk available.

Hitachi has a great 500gb 7200rpm drive which is known to be as silent and vibration free as the stock drive. They will be shipping a 640 and 750Gb 7200rpm version very soon (announced a few months ago) and hopefully they will be a quiet as the 500Gb. If so I will likely get one myself

11. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

I'm trying to get a bigger drive to my MBP 13 too.

Which is the best one? For me 500gb would be enough - but 1Tb would be better. I just want the best performance, but dont want to spend more than 200$ on a HD - so no SSD :(

Should I go to to Scorpio Black or to a Momentus (normal, XT, 4k? which?)

tnx in advance!

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

750GB 7200rpm Seagate Momentus or WD Scorpio Black is your best bet. There is only one version of 750GB Momentus so you can't buy a wrong one. I wouldn't get XT due to the issues it is experiencing (spin up and down etc)

13. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

That has given me cause for concern so that drive is off my short list. Besides, I don't care if my computer takes 20 seconds longer to boot or Photoshop takes 2 seconds to load instead of 6 or 7 the first time.

14. dup thread starter macrumors newbie

Switching to Mac, or not

I didn't say I would never switch to a Mac. I listed the reasons stopping me from switching. I use an iPad, an iPhone, an iPod and I would love to use a Mac but things that I use very often on a PC are the delete key, the right click button and the maximise to full screen. I also use a lot of shortcuts which on the PC and they are all triggered with Ctrl + something. On the Mac, its either Fn, Ctrl or Cmd + something.

If Apple overcame those issues I listed (which have been around for at least 10 years) I'd buy a Mac today. There are some useful replies on that thread - thank you (its closed now) - but there are still a few key issues that stop me switching.

Interesting to note how hostile some of the people on that thread are to criticism! @MacDawg and @Jessica. There is no delete key on this Macbook and Fn + Delete does not count as a Delete key. There is also no right click and Ctrl + click does not count. I want a dedicated Delete Key and and dedicated Right Click on the trackpad.

15. dup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Hellhammer

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not to get into a debate, I'm asking only because I don't understand your statement about no dedicated right-click when tapping two fingers on the trackpad instead of one accomplishes a "right-click"?

I agree that I'd prefer a single DEL key, so I won't argue that point as I understand different people will feel differently about Fn+delete serving the same purpose.

17. dup thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody told me that before. Thanks!

18. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Go to System Preferences - Trackpad. Then hover over the options to see all your options and demo.

19. dup thread starter macrumors newbie

That's cool. So is the four-fingered Expose swipe.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Couple other things I set up coming from Windows 7 was to set the dock to auto-hide and also reduced its size significantly. I hated the amount of vertical screen real estate it takes up on the MBP13 by default.

It also took me a little bit to get used to the red/yellow/green balls/buttons for each window. Red doesn't kill the application, just the window. Command-Q to quit the app. Yellow minimizes the window, and green is a little perplexing as it doesn't seem to be consistent across applications.

I love the two-finger scroll

21. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

I agree with you about the dock size. It is way too big by default on the 13 MBP.
    Just one correction - the red button is also dependent on the app. For some (like the Mac App Store) it will totally close the application. For others, it just closes the window as you said.
    I discovered a few of the gestures by accident, so it was pretty cool kind of figuring it all out.

22. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I really prefer the 2 finger click as a "right-click" and end up trying to do it when using a windows machine. I like that I don't have to click on the right side of anything, I just use two fingers and don't need to look or feel where I am.

Also prefer scrolling with two fingers (again, I try to do it with windows out of habit)

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

Green just maximises the information viewable. Say a picture is 1024x768, it'll bump the window size of it to this size, and no more, because having it full screen would be useless.

24. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

Amen! I don't get the love for full-screening things that don't have any business taking up the whole screen.

25. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Agree with you 100% about the lack of a Delete key. I bought a wired full-size Apple keyboard for my iMac to solve this problem. For your MBP you could try doublecommand (http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/features.html). I have not tried it but I believe it allows you remap the (less useful) Caps Lock key to Delete, among other things. Personally I would like to be able to remap the Eject key to Delete but I don't know if this is possible.

Making the green button maximise can be solved with a simple utility. There are several; RightZoom is free http://www.blazingtools.com/downloads.html#RightZoom

Someone has already provided a solution to the Right Click problem.