Can I buy a NAS that will work with the iPad ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This is what I would like to do:

I would like to buy a NAS unit to hold all my data safe.
    On this NAS I will have all my photos my movies and my music.

I would like my iPad to be able to see this files.

I would like a photo app that displays the files streamed to it from my NAS also play music on the iPad from the files on the NAS and also play movies stored on it.

This would work without my computer being on. Just the iPad and the NAS would be running.

Also. This would not only work at home via my local wireless network, but I could also access my same data across the internet if I was away from home on someone elses wifi.

Can this be done?

If so, what NAS unit would I need to buy and what apps would I need on the iPad to access the photos music and movies from it?

Thanks.

2. lidomkj macrumors regular

Buffalo NAS. I have the mini 1tb. iPhone optimized web access available, but can use any web browser. Also has apps for iphone and for ipad. Have not used it for this yet, but know I can. Will start since I forgot about this function. Will have to do this with my movie collection.

http://www.buffalotech.com/technology/buffalo-advantage/web-access/

3. JulianL macrumors 65816

File Browser from Stratospherix. So long as your NAS supports Windows file system sharing, and I bet you'd have a really, really hard time finding one that doesn't, then File Browser will allow you to mount the Windows network share onto the iPad and browse the files. It has in-built viewers for lots of common file types including jpg, xls, xlsx, doc, docx, pdf etc or you can choose to open the files in a native app like Pages, Docs2Go, etc. It really is a great product.

- Julian

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Working great for me too