Can I buy a unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by funman895, Oct 15, 2008.

1. funman895 macrumors member

funman895

I just bought an iMac a couple months ago. I like what apple did to the macbook pro with the unibody. I am creating a collection of apple items and I believe the unibody would make a wonderful addition to help with the collection. What are my chances of buying a unibody at an affordable price (not the price of the macbook pro itself) I would accept a macbook unibody but am focused on the macbook pro unibody.

2. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

You mean you want one of the unibody enclosures that the laptops use? The ones passed around at the keynote on Tuesday? I don't know any other way than to buy a laptop and strip the unibody off although that's really not affordable and a waste of money/resources.

3. bluecluee macrumors member

4. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Right now your chances are near zero. Wait five years and get get one for next to nothing.

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

what are the odds I can get the wheels off of a new Porsche(at an affordable price)?

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

walk in and ask at the apple store. Explain your reasons. As long as you have the money i dont see the problem lol.

7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Wait for it to become available on ifixit.com. For instance

Probably a month or two?

8. funman895 thread starter macrumors member

funman895

That's a GREAT idea! Thank you VERY much. I'll try that! Those aren't THAT expensive. I will also look into the apple store idea too. I have a friend who works at the apple store (gave me his 15% discount). I'll see if he can help with my passion/obsession.

9. funman895 thread starter macrumors member

funman895

iFixit already took apart a macbook pro (late 2008). I'm not in any hurry. I want a good price (I'm not just throwing away tons of money on a piece of metal)

10. MVApple macrumors 6502a

LOL you do realize this is actually possible? I know where you are trying to go with the analogy but you picked a bad one. Cars are very fixable things. If you wear your tires out you can buy new ones, you don't need to buy an entire new car. If you damage your rims you can buy new ones just like the previous ones.

A laptop isn't nearly as repairable as a car, at least not for the end user.