Can I buy an iPhone 3G and cancel the contract?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aditghai, Jun 25, 2009.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

One of my friends in India wants an iPhone 3G and I was wondering how much it would cost me to buy an iPhone from here and cancel the contract. Does anybody know the exact numbers for canceling the contract?

P.S-The iPhone in India costs $600.

2. dredg macrumors newbie

Ebay

how about you try ebay or craigslist because if you sign contract and then cancel you prolly wont be able to sign another contract ever again so try craigslist and ebay ive seen some iphone 3g's for 200 bucks

3. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

You can, but it'd still be fairly expensive. It's $99 for the phone, then you have activation fees, first month's service, and $200 cancellation fee. (There might be a requirement to stay for a few months before one can cancel, not sure)

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

nah, these 3gs phones over at eBay are selling for ridiculous amounts currently.

6. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

If i were you, i wouldnt do this.. ill try and explain the trouble with this.

Walk into at&t sign up. Then wait the 30 days they require you to stay, then cancel contract.

Seems simple right?

This is what you have to factor in
    Credit check may require you to deposit money for signing up
    After sign up you will then be charged activation fee, taxes on this, and also sim card fee about $30
    the 3g will cost $99+ tax - depending on where you live, about $8 bucks here
    First months bill will be about $70
    cancellation fee or early termination fee - $179 i believe
    Shipping it to your friend - probably around $20

Total = $406
    Price of phone = 399

these are rough estimates but it will be somthing like this. It would be cheaper to just buy the phone from criagslist for about $320. Better yet buy mine for $300 :)