Can I buy an iPhone 4 in the U.S. without a contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrono1081, Jul 6, 2010.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys.

I was wondering if I can buy an iPhone 4 in the U.S. without a contract (paying full price obviously) so that I can use it for development purposes. I could have sworn I remember seeing a thread about this somewhere but I couldn't find it in MRoogle : /

2. ducktales macrumors regular

why can't you? go to the apple store.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh cool. I didnt know I could buy them in an Apple store without a contract. I live 3 hours from the closest one so all my Apple shopping has been online only.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When the 3Gs came out you could not initially buy an iPhone at full price. Once they do start offering, you'll only need a US based credit card.

I'd call them before you trek on down there to be sure that you can. In all likelihood they'll not have any in stock and you'll be put on a "priority" list

5. krUnIzZlE macrumors regular

If you live in the states or live in the northern part of the states or if you visiting canada in the next month, i suggest you wait and get a unlocked iphone from apple. it would be better, dont you think??? :p

6. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thats true. I'm not too far from Canada. I live in PA (although right now I'm across the ocean).

I dont think there is an unlock software yet for iOS4 and since I would like to sell this phone once I'm done using it for development unlocked is a better option.

7. Cottonsworth macrumors regular

The Canadian ones are unlocked?

8. krUnIzZlE macrumors regular

Canadian, U.K iPhones are factory unlocked.. But you have to buy them at full price..

but the iphones in canada are not released yet..

9. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

you can, its 600$ for 16GB, 700$ for 32GB. they will still be locked to at&t however.