Can I buy an iPhone if not primary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skubish, Jun 19, 2009.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

My wife is the primary name on the ATT account. Can I upgrade to a 3GS? Do I need to bring her along ? Apple store or Att store?

2. cj50505050 macrumors newbie

As long as you are eligible, know info such as the last four of her SSN# and the like I assume you would be fine.
    I'm not the primary account holder on mine either but i upgraded just fine.

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I think you have to be an authorized person to make changes to the account if you aren't the primary.
    My dad tried to buy an iPhone last year on my moms business account. He waited in line with me for 4 hours and when we got inside they wouldn't let him buy it because he was not authorized to make changes to the main account. Needless to say he was pissed.

4. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I was at the Apple Store this morning, and they were announcing that you HAD to be the primary in order to buy it.

My GF is out of town, and is the primary account holder, so I ALMOST just left, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

The girl I ended up working with was really cool and she didn't give a ****, she just said "this never happened".

So hopefully it'll be cool like that for you.

5. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

My mother added me as a primary on my att account last year and everything went smooth. I would just have whoever is the primary call att and add you.

6. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Wow you're lucky. The same thing happened to me... except they did care... I stood in line for 2 hours for no reason. Luckily, the AT&T store across the street had some in stock and the line wasn't too too bad there. The problem was my mom is "authorized," but apparently the Apple store can't do it with authorized people, they wanted the guy whose name is on the bill. The ATT store was able to do it with her though. Still... that was an extra almost 2 hours I didn't really need to wait for.

Bottom line, it would be a risk to try it at an Apple store, you may get lucky, may not. The att store can help you out though, IF you are authorized on the account to make changes.

7. boofat macrumors newbie

Authorized Required at Apple Store

Just experienced this today at International Mall Tampa, FL Apple Store. You must be the primary account holder if you are upgrading your Iphone or if you are adding a line to an account. You can circumvent this by purchasing at the ATT store. However, none of the ATT sotres in my area have the phone in stock.:mad:

8. lavinci macrumors 6502

At Apple, you have to have the primary account holder present at the time of purchase.

At AT&T, you can be an authorized user and do the purchase.

9. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

Another question: when adding another iphone into the family [plan], is there an additional $30 per month for the second iphone on top of the additional family plan cost?

10. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

What ever you family plan price is add 30 dollars to that. If you have to iphones you have to have 2 separate iphone data plans. So 60 dollars.