Can I buy an iPhone w/o activating it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derek1984, Jun 16, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

So I need to buy my iPhone at the Apple Store because I have gift cards. I am going to go on a plan with my girlfriend but she will not be in town until Saturday night. I need to join her plan because she is able to get a 20% off monthly rate. We both currently have Verizon. She will most likely get her phone a day after I would have a chance to get mine. My question is, can I walk into an Apple Store on Friday and purchase an iPhone without activating it? I will most likely be activating it the day after with her...Assuming the Apple Store has any iPhones left the day after. Thanks!

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No.

They force you to activate at the store, whether you buy it from Apple or AT&T.

To be on the safe side, you should call about being able to use your gift cards to purchase the iPhone. I'm not saying you can't, but it doesn't hurt to call.

3. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, thanks. Hopefully they still have some left in stock on Saturday or Sunday. If not, I have gift cards to Wal Mart as well. I can try there also. Hard for me to believe that all of those places would be sold out in a couple days. I guess we'll see then.

4. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Depending on how busy they are, they might send you home to activate it on iTunes. Happened with both 2g's and 3g's.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Guess it depends on the store. When I bought the 3G from the Knox/Henderson store in Dallas, they were activating in store.
    The situation with the first iPhone will always be the exception. It was simply sold to you like an iPod. You went home to activate it or you could give it as a gift. However, because people abused the system and unlocked the phone left and right, that brings the current in-store activation scenario that started with 3G.

6. KUKitch macrumors member

KUKitch

It seems to me though that if you bought it online and received it in the mail, it would not be activated correct? They can't activate it ahead of time in that case I would be inclined to think.

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You can activate the phone at the store on a line by yourself and then when your GF is ready to get added to your plan, just go and have her line added. You don't have to have a family plan up front.

Actually last summer, I created an account by myself and had it for a month.

My boyfriend created his own separate account too to order a 3G and wait for it to come in.

Then when his phone came in, they merged both of our accounts together into 1 family plan (with his FAN discount).

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The 2G iPhone was activated in my car, not in the store for me.....:eek::eek::eek::eek: