Can I buy Apple Remote separately?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VincentPun, Mar 14, 2008.

1. VincentPun macrumors member

Since I forgot to order an Apple remote when I order my 17" HR MBP (which still hasn't shipped D:), can I buy an Apple Remote separately in Retail Stores?

Thanks.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

4. Area51Tazz macrumors member

I also read somewhere that if you call and say you didn't realize that they weren't included anymore that sometimes they'll ship you one for free :)

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

it's a rumor.
    same with"if you call them and say that you didn't realize that the base penryn MBP has only 3MB L2 cache, that sometimes they'll give you the 2.5Ghz 6MB L2 cache instead:D

6. sjb macrumors regular

I think I'm going to order a Macbook and say "Oh, I thought it was aluminum and had a lot more ports on it". Maybe Apples response would be "Oh, sorry for the confusion sir, we'll send you a MBP right away, and for your trouble, you just hang onto that Macbook!".

And now I slip back to reality..... :)

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I don't think it's going to work.

Also do you really need it?

8. Area51Tazz macrumors member

Now this is taking it a little too far... I was being serious. What's $20 to them? Especially if it doesn't cost them that much to actually make and ship it.

9. danslatts macrumors newbie

Then why have they started charging for them now? if $20 was nothing to them, would they not still include them with the notebooks?

10. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I think Apple decided to stop including them as standard (free-of-charge) because a lot of Mac owners have more than one Apple remote, or use it very seldom. I've used mine maybe 3 or 4 times since I purchased my MacBook Pro, when I'm watching movies on it for example.

11. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Being a college student, I HAVE to use an alarm clock, and a backup alarm clock- which happens to be my MBP.

Once I have snoozed the first alarm clock, and eventually completely turned it off- the MBP goes off- and I use the remote to snooze it... good thing that I cannot use the remote to turn it off.

So everyday, my remote is used at least once!

Apart from that, if I am watching a movie, or just showing pictures (I have the MBP hooked up to a 22" external), I use the remote to control the flow.

So if my MBP didn't come with a remote, I would probably buy one.

12. cujoe86 macrumors member

actually if you do call them and have questions about the ship time, there is a good chance they'll include it. It can't hurt to try. I did and it worked out for me.

[​IMG]

You can see that they refunded my extra shipping cost and also included a remote.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You think it'd work for someone who bought it at the store (like me)

14. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

you can but anything you can afford.

15. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

LOL!!!:D

16. Mott macrumors newbie

I paid 9 bucks for a new remote on ebay. You just have to look.

17. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

My MBP shipment got delayed once, I should ask them to give me an Apple Remote :mad:

18. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

my remote sits motionless on my desk. i never use it!

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

After 7 months of owning my MBP, my remote would just sit there. I think I used it 4 times when I first discovered Front Row. I hated Front Row under Tiger so I didn't use it at all after the first week or so.

Then I got an iMac with Leopard two weeks ago and it too came with a remote.
    I tried out Front Row on it and have been hooked. I keep a remote in two different rooms now where I use my MBP the most. Life is good with :apple:.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've had my MBP for 16 months now and the remote is still in its packaging :p

Unfortunately, it'd probably cost more to send it overseas than it would to just buy one new.

21. eyespii macrumors 6502

Look on ebay for remotes - i think you can get them for $10-$15 shipped.

Also, the MBP should have a "dock" for the remote, much like how the dell XPS M1330 has a remote that can docked inside the expresscard when its not in use.

Actually - the remote IS the same width as the expresscard slot on the MBP. Anyone try sticking it in there? :)