Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Just watch.

Apple will launch Macs with Intel's 8th gen processors right before Intel releases the 9th gen processors.

Intel probably gives Apple deep deep discounts for buying outdated processors.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Just watch.

Apple will launch Macs with Intel's 8th gen processors right before Intel releases the 9th gen processors.

Intel probably gives Apple deep deep discounts for buying outdated processors.

Umm, when the 9th generation Intel processors are released that does NOT make the 8th generation "outdated." You are the type of customer Intel must crave.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Umm, when the 9th generation Intel processors are released that does NOT make the 8th generation "outdated." You are the type of customer Intel must crave.

Actually, it does.

There's nothing wrong with buying outdated processors at discount rates.

That said, since Apple is selling its PC at a huge premium, it should at least come with the latest processor.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Actually, it does.

There's nothing wrong with buying outdated processors at discount rates.

That said, since Apple is selling its PC at a huge premium, it should at least come with the latest processor.

Apple has always done one year or longer product cycles, so that's not going to happen. I think that's the reason Apple doesn't include the latest and greatest chips on a daily basis, not your conspiracy-discount theory. Apple is not Dell, that just slaps parts together, throws Windows on it and give the box a model number.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Apple has always done one year or longer product cycles, so that's not going to happen. I think that's the reason Apple doesn't include the latest and greatest chips on a daily basis, not your conspiracy-discount theory. Apple is not Dell, that just slaps parts together, throws Windows on it and give the box a model number.

Intel's 8th gen processor is a drop-in replacement.

It literally requires next to no effort on Apple's part.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Bu

But you KNOW that Apple doesn't do just that, never has. They generally have a product line, and that's where it stays until a new release. And there always at least several changes to the line, even if not major, not just a drop-in component. Overall, Apple's strategy has been a success, even with less than the latest and greatest components. They have a tremendous advantage over all other manufacturers in terms of reliability and longevity of their products, something that you do not see with Dell or HP. So the choice is out there and everyone knows it -- go to Dell or HP and Windows if you must have a modular system with the absolute latest daily hardware, and hopefully be enough of a technician to keep things working, or go to Apple if you want primarily usability, excellent performance, reliability and ultimately spend less money because of the longevity. Watching people complain that they want Apple's reliability and longevity along with new computers every few months to take advantage of the most recent hardware release is amusing, but Apple ain't going there any time soon.

Reactions: pier

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
The longest ever period between releases was 601 days. That would put it in Jan. 2019.

The average is 371 days, which would be tomorrow. :D

I'd say by October is a pretty sure bet at 514 days. If it were me, I sure as hell would wait, unless I absolutely had to buy.

Maybe Apple is redesigning the iMac from the ground up.

Maybe even if there is a refresh there won't be an i9 (6 core) CPU for the iMac since it generates too much heat or other reasons.

Maybe Apple will wait for AMD's Vega 7nm to be released in 2019 to refresh the iMac lineup which is holding pretty well.

Maybe Apple is too busy fixing the MBP, and working on a new Mac Pro and Mac Mini.

Maybe...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Bu

But you KNOW that Apple doesn't do just that, never has. They generally have a product line, and that's where it stays until a new release. And there always at least several changes to the line, even if not major, not just a drop-in component. Overall, Apple's strategy has been a success, even with less than the latest and greatest components. They have a tremendous advantage over all other manufacturers in terms of reliability and longevity of their products, something that you do not see with Dell or HP. So the choice is out there and everyone knows it -- go to Dell or HP and Windows if you must have a modular system with the absolute latest daily hardware, and hopefully be enough of a technician to keep things working, or go to Apple if you want primarily usability, excellent performance, reliability and ultimately spend less money because of the longevity. Watching people complain that they want Apple's reliability and longevity along with new computers every few months to take advantage of the most recent hardware release is amusing, but Apple ain't going there any time soon.

Hahaha!!!

Have you heard about the three class action lawsuits filed over 2016/2017 MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard failing?

...$700 to replace top case every time the keyboard fails

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009

Yeah but why would Apple do that?

Apple has never had an interest in having the latest and fastest desktop hardware.

The current iMac lineup was designed to edit 4K, and it does that fine. If anyone needs more performance than that there's the iMac Pro.

I'm playing the devil's advocate here. I'd rather see a new refresh every year and Apple switch to Nvidia...

Logamaniac

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2018
I like the analysis, but I do think that the release of the iMac Pro may put a crimp into that timing, as it has GOT to be a factor as Apple decides what a new high end regular iMac will be.

The iMac pro won’t have its sales cannablized any more by an updated iMac than the current i7 offering. The imac pro is geared towards a different customer and has upgrade costs and component costs that never would make sense to someone financially that doesn’t need them.

Anyone waiting on an iMac pro right now is waiting only to see what the deal is going to be with the new Mac Pro. If anything the talk and announcements about that would hurt the iMac pro more than an updated iMac.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016

Apple has never had an interest in having the latest and fastest desktop hardware.

The current iMac lineup was designed to edit 4K, and it does that fine. If anyone needs more performance than that there's the iMac Pro.

I'm playing the devil's advocate here. I'd rather see a new refresh every year and Apple switch to Nvidia...

AMD makes semi-custom GPUs for Apple: that's why Apple is sticking with AMD.

I am more surprised that Apple hasn't put any AMD processors in any of its PCs.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

Apple often does that.

If it's an easy upgrade, they'll often do it, even if it is a few months after everyone else.

No, the iMac Pro is a niche workstation product. It's not a mainstream product.

Apple already updates on average once a year. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
I have 100% success with Apple-refurbished products.
sounds good. I've heard mostly good things, and I'd personally like to go that route and save some cash, because maybe I could get the 1TB SSD then and actually afford it, plus if the new 6 cores are released later in 2018 or 2019 I can sell it and put it towards that or just keep it.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
sounds good. I've heard mostly good things, and I'd personally like to go that route and save some cash, because maybe I could get the 1TB SSD then and actually afford it, plus if the new 6 cores are released later in 2018 or 2019 I can sell it and put it towards that or just keep it.

You can get a 1TB SSD for < $200

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I need a new Mac now! But I don’t know whether IMac would be updated soon, I’m very struggling, wait or buy iMac 2017 now?
If you absolutely need the Mac, buy it now. especially if you make your living with it.

I mean, what is there, specifically, that you cannot do on a 2017 or 2015 iMac?

I think the general consensus is new Macs will roll out in October, so limp along until then if you can.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016

You can get a 1TB SSD for < $200

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
New hex-core iMac models with improved performance are likely in October. I would wait until then if at all possible. But if not, there is nothing wrong with the current models, other than the fact they use prior-generation CPUs with only four cores instead of six.
I'd like to know what OP uses the iMac for---a beefed up 2017 should handle most user's needs.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Hahaha!!!

Have you heard about the three class action lawsuits filed over 2016/2017 MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard failing?

...$700 to replace top case every time the keyboard fails

Ummm, I don't think I said every device ever made by Apple was perfect. But I'll stand by the statement that overall Apple computers are the most reliable, consistently performing and longest lasting machines. And the yearly satisfaction surveys covering all computer manufacturers say the same thing. It's the Apple haters, like you, that make people who just appreciate a company that makes products that are a joy to use have to act like "Apple lovers." I felt the same way about Panasonic and their plasma TV's, when they made them. There are very, very few brands that you can actually rely on, and Apple is one of them. And I hope they stay that way by NOT listening to people like you.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Ummm, I don't think I said every device ever made by Apple was perfect. But I'll stand by the statement that overall Apple computers are the most reliable, consistently performing and longest lasting machines. And the yearly satisfaction surveys covering all computer manufacturers say the same thing. It's the Apple haters, like you, that make people who just appreciate a company that makes products that are a joy to use have to act like "Apple lovers." I felt the same way about Panasonic and their plasma TV's, when they made them. There are very, very few brands that you can actually rely on, and Apple is one of them. And I hope they stay that way by NOT listening to people like you.

If I am a "Apple hater" as you say, why do I have so many Apple products?

Apple products are unreliable and that's a fact.

One day, my 2011 MacBook Pro 17" suddenly got pink lines on the display.

I wasn't alone. Many other people experienced similar issues when the dGPU failed on their MacBook Pro.

Class action lawsuits were filed.

In the end Apple caved after denying the issues for years and launched the repair extension program.

yunuzzz

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2016
I've bought almost maxed out iMac 2017 here in Turkey. Radeon 580 with i7 processor and 512 SSD. I'll upgrade ram later.

I bought because i need that machine now. Can't wait any longer. Here in Turkey Apple will increase Mac prices in 3-4 week because of currency. So i bought before prices increase.

I hope i'm not regret when new iMac's released.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
If they're going to be so inconsistent with their releases, I just wish they'd be a little more transparent. The iPhone we know about, so they don't have to say anything, but with stuff like this... idk. Just seems kinda crappy to leave everyone hanging.

I really "need" an iMac. I'm using a MBP for work at the moment, and it's just not cutting it - but, I have SOMETHING to work on, so don't NEED anything for work, it's just really hindering me. If I knew for sure it was coming in October I'd just wait, but for all we know it could be next year. But I also know if it comes in October, I'd be really pissed if I bought one now.

Very frustrating.

troc

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
The Netherlands
The iPhone we know about, so they don't have to say anything, but with stuff like this... idk. Just seems kinda crappy to leave everyone hanging.......

.....If I knew for sure it was coming in October I'd just wait, but for all we know it could be next year. But I also know if it comes in October, I'd be really pissed if I bought one now.

Very frustrating.

Google the "osborne effect"

Reactions: yunuzzz

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
If they're going to be so inconsistent with their releases, I just wish they'd be a little more transparent. The iPhone we know about, so they don't have to say anything, but with stuff like this... idk. Just seems kinda crappy to leave everyone hanging.

I really "need" an iMac. I'm using a MBP for work at the moment, and it's just not cutting it - but, I have SOMETHING to work on, so don't NEED anything for work, it's just really hindering me. If I knew for sure it was coming in October I'd just wait, but for all we know it could be next year. But I also know if it comes in October, I'd be really pissed if I bought one now.

Very frustrating.

Personally I would use all of this waiting to try and snag a deal on something already out there. At least that way in the back of your mind if it is updated in the fall at least you are saving some cash by getting a good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.