Can I Buy iPhone alone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lexoticstylez02, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I'm a 17 year old using the main account on AT&T. I switched over last year for the new iPhone from T-Mobile and my mom's name is on the account. She added me from the website onto the list of people that can make changes to the account. Does this make me eligible to walk into an AT&T/Apple Store on the 11th and purchase the iPhone 3G while extending the contract for 2 years even though I'm not the actual account holder?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You need to be at least 18 years old to sign a new contract with AT&T.

3. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I'm not starting a new contract.. I have one with AT&T but it's under my moms name right now. I am the one using it, not her. My mom still has T-Mobile, she just signed me onto AT&T last year so I could get the 1st gen iPhone but the contract is in HER name. She has added me onto a list of authorized users that can make changes to the account through the AT&T My Account page. The question I'm asking is does this allow me to go in and extend the contract for 2 years in HER name and purchase the 3G iPhone?

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Ah, but you are. All iPhone 3G purchases at the subsidized price require you to sign a new 2 year contract regardless if you're already under contract with AT&T. I'm 99.9% sure you won't be able to get it unless you've got your mom with you, but I'm sure you'll get a more definitive answer directly from AT&T than from here.

5. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Well yes I guess I would be.. but like I stated she has added me as an Authorized User - Retail Store. Under My Profile on the AT&T My Account and My Profile. It states please enter the first and last name of the user you want to authorize to make changes on this account in an AT&T retail store. Select 'Save' to add this authorized user.

It sounds like as an authorized user I would be able to make the same changes on the account as the main holder, without them being present.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It really doesn't matter if she added you as an authorized user or not, AT&T will probably not let you upgrade alone, since you are indeed signing a contract.

I would call them.

7. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I'll be calling later on today, just wanted to get some opinions.

Hopefully I can otherwise I can't get it on launch day :(

And to think I'm only 2 months away from being 18! GRRR

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah you may need your mom there.

Although they may have special provisions for upgrades, so wait and see, if not, I would make plans to figure out a time when your mom can go with you this weekend.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

This is a response from AT&T to an email we sent. My mom is the primary account holder for our service, so I wondered the same thing. Now I am over 18, so i don't have to worry about it, but they did address the issue in the email.

10. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Well that pretty much sums it up then ha. Looks like I'll have to wait till later on that night if there's still any in stock at the Apple Stores or over the weekend. It sucks because I'm only 2 months away from being 18 too. I was looking forward to launch day!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

11. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I just called three AT&T stores and they all told me I can go in and upgrade the account even though I'm 17 as long as I'm an authorized user!! I also spoke with a customer service rep online through LiveChat on AT&T's support page and she said the same thing and to just make sure I have my ID to verify my identity!! :))))

So as long as youre an authorized user on the account guys you can upgrade your line!!

12. hellodon macrumors 6502

They're just trying to get you there to set you on fire....don't do it!

:) Good luck, hopefully you can hook it up....what's the deal though, does your mom not want you to do this?

13. hokeydays macrumors newbie

This is one of those things that probably just depends on who is ringing you up. It is someone that is real anal and by the book, it will be a no go. If it is someone who could care less, they would probably let you sign for your mom.

However, legally, you are not able to enter into a legally binding contract until you turn 18. So if the ATT rep. let you sign a contract at 17, and the next day you decide to cancel, you would actually probably win (could get out of contract without penalty) because you were not of legal age to enter into the contract, hence the contract was invalid and cannot be enforced.

You could give it a shot, but don't be too dissapointed if you leave without 3G that day. Best of luck.

14. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

You are correct, and the CSR is wrong. If I were an AT&T or Apple rep, I would not allow him to sign for the reasons you and others have stated. In court, he wouldn't "probably" win, he would definitely win because a contract was not established when he signed, therefore he is not bound by the terms of said contract.

Jude

15. David-fr macrumors 6502

yes u get the iPhone 3g

I called to AT&T cause am only 16 the limit age and am authorized holder so i can get it just by having photo Id and moms ssn and her date of birth, I'll do that, so good luck

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Boy, that Rep is making a big mistake. Then you can go ahead and get out of the contract, as since you are a minor, you are not bound to any contracts... :eek:

17. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

No my mom is fine with it.. I'm the actual account user. She uses T-Mobile, but this account is under her name and I was wanting to purchase the phone before work on Friday.. she also has work which means I wouldn't have been able to get my hands on it at 8AM so I went this route. Everything will be fine, I took screenshot of the conversations and everything just in case I need some kind of proof.

18. David-fr macrumors 6502

no mistake

I'm autorized which means the acount is under my moms name she add a line for me but shes always bussy and I have to go and buy it

19. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Just thought I'd update this thread and let everyone know that I got the phone fine alone being 17. As long as you have the account holder's social and you're an authorized user you will be able to upgrade your account.