Can I buy Mac Pro without a video card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brian6611, Oct 3, 2008.

1. brian6611 macrumors newbie

From what I've read on here and elsewhere, the ATI 3870 is the best value card for the current Mac Pro. As it isn't a BTO option, can we order the machine by phone without any video card? I don't know what I would do with the ATI 2600 that comes with it if I bought a 3870 right away. I don't like hawking things on ebay if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your help

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Not through Apple. The only way to get one without a vid card would be used. Keep in mind, you can always sell the stock card if you don't want it.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You would KEEP the HD 2600 if you replaced it with the 3870, because if you ever have a problem and need to reinstall from the OS disks, you will need to put the HD 2600 back in because there are no drivers for the 3870 in OS X by default and you would not be able to boot.

Why not just use them both, anyway?

4. brian6611 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies

That is a good point about being able to reinstall OS X. Hopefully Snow Leopard will solve that issue.

If I'm only using one 30-inch monitor, is there any advantage to the 2600 being left in the machine? I'm thinking it will just draw power needlessly.

5. nos macrumors member

You could start in target mode, provided you have another mac at hand.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Annoying but it is a workaround. You might be better off imaging then.

7. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Speaking as one who recently had a mac-less three weeks due to a broken vid card - keep it for emergencies!.

I purchased one for my Mac so that I have a spare in future. (I always have PC cards around, but none that the mac likes due to the EFI).

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nothing wrong with keeping the old card for that 3rd/4th display -- or as a spare.

9. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Is there any programs that you could slipstream the new ATI drivers into the install disk similar to nlite for windows, it would be a great idea....
    http://www.nliteos.com/

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian