Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I'm interested in OS X Server, especially with the education discount. I would probably wait until Leopard comes out though, to avoid double-dipping within a year.

But here's the deal, if I go to the Apple Store for Education for my campus, there isn't an option to buy OS X Server as a boxed product. I can have it preinstalled on a Mac Pro for $250, but I can't buy it separately from the online education store. What gives?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
generik said:
Join ADC, I believe you will get it free in your membership :)
You only get the Standard Mac OS X for free using Student Developer. Otherwise you can get Server later. You'll have to buy it under the institutional/department Apple Education store instead of the individual one.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I notice you have to go through a manual registration process to order from the institutional store. It says higher ed store, but I wonder if I can get access as a high school teacher. I also seem to recall seeing the server version in the college bookstore (working on a masters). I'll try calling them to see if they carry the current version.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I was unable to get OS X Server with an EDU discount for myself (individual).
It IS offered if you can get it purchased through the institution.

I ended up purchasing it off eBay (for less than the inst-edu $).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.