Can I buy the iphone from the apple store without AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PUCCY, Oct 6, 2008.

1. PUCCY macrumors regular

I want to know if I can buy the iphone from the Apple store without the AT&T contract.

Is that possible? And how much will it be? I'm on T-mobile.

I am aware that I would need to get turbo sim-card.

2. Adamo macrumors 6502

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I was under the impression that no such option has been released yet in the USA.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

FAIL for not reading post.

6. Adamo macrumors 6502

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Even when you buy it directly from an Apple store, you're still under contractual obligation to enter into a 2-year service agreement with AT&T. So, no, you cannot buy a brand new iPhone in the USA without AT&T getting involved at some point.

8. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

OK So here is my dilemma,

I am with T-Mobile. I will be in the US till May 09. I can terminate my contract with T-Mobile and I can switch to AT&T and keep my number but in the end i will be paying around $750 that includes termination fees, a $40 increase a month towards my monthly bill, I can get an iphone thru ebay for $700 but my question is if I unlock using Turbo sim card or one of those will I be able to use the phone with all it has to offer?

I hear that Gevey does unlock but it doesn't sync the phone to iTunes.

What's the best way to unlock that would make an iphone sync and function fully?

9. Bassir macrumors member

The iPhone 3G cannot be unlocked yet. Unless of course you get one of those legitimately unlocked ones from overseas.

10. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

hmm,

so if I get it through AT&T and want to give it up after 8 months do u think I will be able to sell it or something?

11. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

So if i buy one from ebay does it have to be activated? if it wasn't how do i do that? if i dont want AT&T?

12. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Most from ebay will be activated. If not, you can always jailbreak for activation.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP, the only option would be to buy a v1 iPhone and unlock it and then you could just pop in the T-Mobile SIM card and be on your way. No ETF and you've got an iPhone. :cool:

14. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

One last question, if I get it from the Apple or AT&T store will I be able to unlock it myself? Will I be able to remove the sim card and use another when I'm in a different country for example?

15. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

Is that what some people have done? I really want an answer soon because I am planning on going to the Apple store really soon.

16. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

No, you will need to buy one that's unlocked to do that. OR try you luck with sim card adapter unlocks.