Can I buy the UNLOCKED iPhone 6 (Sprint or US Cellular versions A1524/1586)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SHNXX, Nov 8, 2014.

1. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I want to buy a unlocked iphone6 for international usage from sprint for full price.

is it possible?

2. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

If you buy the Sprint version from Sprint it will not be unlocked. Also I'm pretty sure that if you hit it from the Apple Store it still won't be unlocked. However I've seen a few people including myself that received an internationally unlocked version from Apple Store.

3. Benjamin. macrumors newbie

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There are reports that this is possible, but you have to buy at the Apple store and do not insert a Sprint SIM.

Don't believe they will sell it to you full price at a Sprint store.

5. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

I just want internationally unlocked.
    Don't care about the US locked (if that's even a real thing, a phone thats internationally unlocked in GSM or whatever but locked in the US.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont buy a sprint one.
    Get a full priced AT&T, TMobile or Verizon iphone 6 from the Apple store to be 100% its unlocked.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

So far your only option for a truly unlocked A1524/A1586 is to buy one from Europe or Japan. Both have their own restrictions though (EU volume limit, and Japanese iPhones can't mute the camera shutter)

8. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Why sprint? That's the worst one. Get an unlocked AT&T, verizon or t-mobile.

Sprint phones loose value quickly because they are locked to sprint in the us

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

He probably wants it for the TD LTE bands. And if he has no intention to use it in the US, there's no disadvantage

10. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

I want to gift it for China.
    I gifted one in China by buying one in China but there's markup in China and the wait is like a month long.

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Assuming the A1524/1586 are the versions sold in China, one bought from the Apple store at full price should work for you

12. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

Can I buy the UNLOCKED iPhone 6 (Sprint or US Cellular versions A1524/1586)

U mean if I just buy the sprint version?
    Can you buy those without contract?

I already bought one in China.
    I want to try to buy the next in US because it's more expensive and longer wait in China.

Maybe I will just buy the tmobile.

13. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I see what you are saying. If that's the case I think you can just go to the store and buy it full price. When you buy full price they don't ask you for name or social security number or any of that details since they usually ask for those things to lock you down in a contract.

If they ask you, tell them you broke your Sprint phone and want to buy a replacement, and that you will activate it yourself on your own.

14. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

You can do that???

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're taking a big risk buying a sprint iphone.
    Good chances are it will not work with any carrier at all besides sprint.
    Its your money but if you want to risk having a useless device go for it and get a Sprint one.

16. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

I see.

I would not want to do that because the phone is being gifted for use in China, where the TDLTE and other LTE bands that are not available on the T-mobile/Verizon/AT&T version are used.

17. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

If the Apple store is not far from you, go and try. I don't think it's official, but a friend of mine bought his girlfriend a replacement phone for her birthday, told them that broke her phone screen and he wanted to surprise her with a brand new sealed phone. They happily accepted his $650 :)

18. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

that's very nice of him (if the story is true).
    do you know if that phone can be used in Chinese networks without issues since it's "locked" to Sprint?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you. It's a big risk though.
    At least with all other carrier models bought full price at Apple you will be 100% that they are unlocked. Even though LTE might not be compatible in China.