Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopazAl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Can I buy Verizon iPhone 6 without Contract at Apple Store in Full? I heard iPhone 5 from Verizon is unlocked. I plan to use Verizon iPhone 6 on AT&T or StraightTalk. Anyone know?

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Can I buy Verizon iPhone 6 without Contract at Apple Store in Full? I heard iPhone 5 from Verizon is unlocked. I plan to use Verizon iPhone 6 on AT&T or StraightTalk. Anyone know?

Yes you can. I bought two of the 6 pluses.

jboggs85

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Is it the same case for the AT&T version? I'm curious if I select 2-year agreement when checking out from Apple store can I then pay in full for device only when picking up? I plan to use prepaid but device only isn't an option in the store.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
For the 2 Verizon phone that you bought, did you able to activate in other network such as AT&T, T-Mobile or StraigthTalk?

I bought two Verizon 6 phones at Best Buy full price, popped in an AT&T SIM no problem.

TopazAl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I bought two Verizon 6 phones at Best Buy full price, popped in an AT&T SIM no problem.

For AT&T Activation with your Verizon phone, do u have to swap the SIM first before initial power up?

Also, in your iTune app, does it show your Verizon phone as Unlocked?

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
For AT&T Activation with your Verizon phone, do u have to swap the SIM first before initial power up?

I don't know if you have to, but I did put in the AT&T SIM in first before I powered up the phone and then I restored from a previous backup in iTunes.

Honestly I don't remember if iTunes said it was unlocked or not, but it obviously is since it's working. :)

TopazAl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I don't know if you have to, but I did put in the AT&T SIM in first before I powered up the phone and then I restored from a previous backup in iTunes.

Honestly I don't remember if iTunes said it was unlocked or not, but it obviously is since it's working. :)

Thanks HXGuyAZ for your help

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Yes you can, yes it'll work with ATT..TMobile...other GSMs, and yes it's factory unlocked.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
You can't buy a Verizon phone at the Apple store, they wont sell it to you without service. Go to this posthttps://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1776008/ and buy it direct from Verizon.

I thought Verizon won't sell it either?

Apple will sell you an unlocked AT&T phone if you say you want a "device only" phone I think I've read.

Or you can do as I did and go to Best Buy and buy it, but just make sure they price match so you don't overpay by $50.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
You can't buy a Verizon phone at the Apple store, they wont sell it to you without service. Go to this posthttps://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1776008/ and buy it direct from Verizon.

Wrong. Four of my friends, in different locations, successfully purchased Verizon 6/6+ outright from an Apple B&M w/o signing any contract or commitment and are enjoying it on either ATT or TMO for the past 2 days! (long sentence...phew!)

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Wrong. Four of my friends, in different locations, successfully purchased Verizon 6/6+ outright from an Apple B&M w/o signing any contract or commitment and are enjoying it on either ATT or TMO for the past 2 days! (long sentence...phew!)

Agreed. Now, I get that you can order it online w/o signing a contract, but I'd like to hear if anyone was able to walk into a Verizon store, w/o being an account holder, and walk out w/ an iPhone 6.

I already confirmed w/ the Apple Store near me that if the Plus were in stock (which I want as my business phone) that I can buy it at full price w/ no contract.

Hell, I even posted in another thread that the way I got my Verizon iPhone on T-Mobile was that I preordered the Verizon model on contract, and the Apple Store employee created a refund and resold it to me in the store. I walked away w/o ever dealing w/ Verizon.

----------

Yes, you need an AT&T SIM. But this shouldn't be a big deal.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Agreed. Now, I get that you can order it online w/o signing a contract, but I'd like to hear if anyone was able to walk into a Verizon store, w/o being an account holder, and walk out w/ an iPhone 6.

I already confirmed w/ the Apple Store near me that if the Plus were in stock (which I want as my business phone) that I can buy it at full price w/ no contract.

Hell, I even posted in another thread that the way I got my Verizon iPhone on T-Mobile was that I preordered the Verizon model on contract, and the Apple Store employee created a refund and resold it to me in the store. I walked away w/o ever dealing w/ Verizon.

----------

Yes, you need an AT&T SIM. But this shouldn't be a big deal.

I don't think you can order it on Apple.com w/o a current or new Verizon account.

My friends literally walked in [ 1 in Texas, 2 in Colorado, and 1 in San Diego [CA] ) to an Apple store and scored either the Verizon 6 or 6+ ...no commitment. no paperwork.. just bought it outright like you'd buy ..say a case or Macbook.

----------

Of course, Siri cant do that yet! :p

Not sure... I just did a restore all contents & settings on the device itself with my TMO SIM in, and it activated just fine..

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
I walked into a ATT Corporate store and bought a 128GB iPhone 6 for full retail price and a GoPhone plan this past Saturday, with no issues.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I don't think you can order it on Apple.com w/o a current or new Verizon account.

I didn't say you can. You can either 1) go to the Apple Store and buy an in stock model at full price and walk out w/o a contract or 2) order online, return it unopened and buy the same phone back right as it goes back into their inventory (needed to do this to get one on launch day).

I didn't try going through the Verizon channel b/c the Apple online system was quite a bit more robust after it was running. But I did check a couple of Verizon stores, and the reps told me they would not sell one w/o a contract.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012

Not sure... I can't recall anyone posting that they bought an iPhone 6 at a Verizon store that was totally free and clear. Of course hundreds have posted they've done this at an Apple Store (me included) so I'm not sure why others keep asking (not you, obviously).

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Ignore Lolobond. Of course you can buy Verizon iPhones from the Apple store without a contract for full price. Why do people answer questions without knowing facts?

jestare

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Sarasota, FL
I spoke with an apple chat rep last night and her statement was that they would not sell me a contracted phone for full price (instore or online) and that I'd have to buy the tmobile version. However, based on numerous experiences here, her information was incorrect.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Wrong..
Plz research before you post misinformation.

I tried at the store and I was told no way without a Verizon account. I called Apple direct and they direct me to Verizon.com... on both occasion I spoke to managers.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I tried at the store and I was told no way without a Verizon account. I called Apple direct and they direct me to Verizon.com... on both occasion I spoke to managers.

You wrote "store". What store are you referring to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.