Can i Buy Watch3 without Iphone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by asd12033, May 9, 2018.

1. asd12033 macrumors newbie

asd12033

Hey got question looking for a smartwatch for sport activity (pulse,sleep monitor,gps),
    the apple watch suits me best it look best , but i dont have the iphone , is it possible to use the AWatch3 or AW sport with no iphone , if yes what will i lose maybe in future ill buy one but now i got samsung phone , i dont need to call, read sms , use messanger just GPS,and sport thing's

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No. You have to have an iPhone in order to initially pair with an Apple Watch in order start using it.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You need an iPhone to set it up and install updates. After that it will work by itself with limited functionality.

The Apple Watch is a complimentary accessory for the iPhone and i wouldn’t recommend buying one if you don’t have an iPhone.

4. asd12033 thread starter macrumors newbie

asd12033

So i can use my friend iphone to configure it for example , this is embarrassing solution , and it gonna work yes? and what will be the limited functions ? Can i use it for sport or it wont gonna work like i think its gonna ?

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You won’t be able receive any notifications, emails and you won’t be able to install any software updates whatsoever without the iPhone. Your functionality with the Apple Watch will be _severely_ limited. Its not a good decision.

6. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

I'd actually go one step further and say that, given the amount you can do without having a permanently paired iPhone is pretty microscopic, the answer should be a categoric No!

"No iPhone? No Apple Watch" should be the basic rule of thumb, despite some minor technical exceptions.

7. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

An Apple Watch without an iPhone is just a very expensive rechargable watch that will tell you the time. That's it. Definitely not worth an investment without an iPhone. Even then, you will need at least an iPhone 5s with WatchOS 4.

8. asd12033 thread starter macrumors newbie

asd12033

I dont know why they put reviews on youtube and not saying the most importatnt information ;/
    Very sad coz the rest of those watches looks like sh.. :(

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes it will work to a point. You will need your friend's iPhone on a regular basis to collect any health or exercise data from your watch. You will also need your friend to always have your data on their iPhone but not snoop.

I would suggest you consider something like a used iPhone 6 that you can keep handy at home to sync your data, install / manage watch related apps and finally to update your watchOS as needed.

Dave

10. asd12033 thread starter macrumors newbie

asd12033

hmm this is not a stupid idea i can buy 5s with ios4 and it will run ^^?

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, you need an iPhone running the latest version of iOS. You may get away with a 5S if you don't need the cellular watch but this may change when iOS12 and watch OS5 are released later this year.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But, there is _No_ basic rule, because it is possible to use the Apple Watch without an iPhone once its initially paired {As multiple members have already have}, thus the issues primarily arise after the fact with software updates, data logging back to the iPhone, etc. Some merely have even used Apple Watch nothing more than a timekeeping device just to change to watch faces, using timers, the stopwatch function, etc. So there are variations.

13. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Yeah, but isn't the other problem that if you use your friends iPhone to pair, then you will have their messages, settings, accounts, etc all paired to your watch?

14. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

either buy a cheap second hand iPhone that can run the latest iOS software, or don't bother getting an apple watch.

trying to sync it repeatedly with someone else's iPhone is just going to be a pain in the ass

15. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Hence the use of my word of 'should' and in the spirit of the context of the OPs thread...

16. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

NO!

Seriously, don't do it. There are some fine Android watches. Having an Apple watch without an iPhone is practically useless.

17. freemyheart macrumors member

freemyheart

Yes. You can buy it either in store or online using a computer. You don't have to buy it with an iPhone.

With that said, you will need an iPhone to use it.

18. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Hahahaha, classic!

19. SoYoung macrumors 6502a

The best suggestion is definitively buying a cheap second hand iPhone just to sync with your watch. The watch can be used by itself for workouts and step count but the statistics of your workouts and all is very limited on the watch itself. Yoûll want an iPhone for the activity and health apps to see all your statistics.