Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paddyi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
A couple of times I've hit sent by mistake when typing a message. Is there a way of cancelling sending or is this one of those annoying iPhone things that can't be done?

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
learn to type better? i don't think i've ever mistakingly hit the send button even once so far.

Adric

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
GOSH iBlastoff, you're a helpful bunny aren't you? Someone asks for help and you take the time and effort to not just NOT help in any way, but insult the person as well, my hat is off to you....

In response to the OP, I don't think there is currently a way to cancel the SMS being sent if you accidentally press send before you're done, I've even tried quickly hitting the sleep/lock button and that doesn't do anything, hopefully they add this function soon.... and MMS....

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I really wish this was available, because I have noticed typos in my text while it was sending, or notice that I was sending the text to the wrong person...

The best thing for you to do is sit on your phone, and hope you can get it to lose the signal! :p no, im being serious!

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
A couple of times I've hit sent by mistake when typing a message. Is there a way of cancelling sending or is this one of those annoying iPhone things that can't be done?

No, there is not. Even if you press the "home button", the message still sends.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Every phone I have used in the past, up until my iPhone, none of them, even the iPhone could not cancel a message once you have told it to send.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Yank the battery out as soon as you....oh wait. No removable battery.

You're out of luck I think.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Do you realize how quickly SMS messages get sent? Hitting cancel would be useless almost everytime anyways.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I could never get my razr to not send it. Even if I closed the phone immediately after hitting send. Don't drink and text!

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
All my previous phones could. Nokia and Siemens. But it doesn't bother me too much that I don't have this option on the iPhone.

Yes, I do seem to recall some of my older phones letting me cancel prior to sending, although I agree that you didn't have much time to do so.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
noPe, it would be kind of hard to cancel anuways because like someone said a second ago it does send pretty quickly

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
A search would have given you the answer.

lol why even bother typing that if like 6 people already answered him? man i think some people just cruise the forums looking for any opportunity to be jerks.

kaifrias

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Turn off the phone

its funny i stumbled across this forum this morning because i almost sent the wrong text to the wrong person! attached was a picture of an email i was trying to send my brother but instead it went to the person that had sent me the email. haha I had JUST woken up please dont judge lol... anyways in a panic i turned off my phone quickly before it went thru all thee way. and in praying and HOPING that I would see the 'message did not go through' when i turned it on... well thank goodness it didnt!! so it works i think. you just have to turn it off super fast! hope that helps

werker

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Other solutions

If the network is a little slow, and if you're quick, you can push it into airplane mode as quick as you can.
If it's a 4G you can touch the side of it that disrupts connectivity and hope that works.
Once the text fails, it requires you to re-send it. So try for fail.
I like the sitting on it idea too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.