Can I cancel my 3GS plan and keep the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ricgnzlzcr, Aug 2, 2009.

1. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'm thinking about canceling my AT&T service. I bought the 3GS the week it came out.

Can I pay the $175 termination fee, cancel the service, and keep the phone? Any help would be great!

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You can if you're outside of your initial 30 days :)

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

After 30 days you can cancel and pay the EFT, but AT&T can give you the best advice....:eek:

4. ricgnzlzcr thread starter macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

That's great. I also added my brother to my plan recently (he's 11 and won't mind getting a new phone with a different company).

Do I pay $175 to cancel a family plan or is there a different pricing for that?

5. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I think it is $175.00 per line

7. ricgnzlzcr thread starter macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Hmm...not as fun. So could I cancel my line and keep the other one for $175?

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's why I mentioned that AT&T would give you the best advice in that situation. Each situation is in itself special to the individual account holder.....sorry :(

Also, if you paid $199/$299 for a subsidized iPhone, then you would also be charged the additional charge for a non-subsidized iPhone and the prices are $599/$699....:eek:

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I am sorry, but this sounds like another of those threads in which person buys iPhone, post 30 day, cancel account and keep iPhone. I hope that this isn't the case, and I have misread the situation.

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Yea its should be 175.00, BUT if they changed their contract you can get out of it for free( i think they change it a couple of times a year). Look for changes on your bill it should be the last page maybe.?

11. AmeliaO macrumors newbie

if you don't care for being back on ATT or having an overdue bill with them
    just don't even pay it.
    forget the monthly bill and the ETF

12. ricgnzlzcr thread starter macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Ouch, that's rough. I had no idea that you would be charged the additional price.

I could see why you would think that. I've actually had the original, the 3G, and now the 3GS.

The reason I'm canceling is that I'm trying something new for an article I'm writing. I'm going to get a t-mobile prepaid phone, MagicJack, an iPod touch, and Google Voice. When someone calls me it'll either call the prepaid phone or the MagicJack phone. If I'm not home and I have an urgent call I'll pick up the cell. If it's not urgent I'll let it go to voicemail and call back later.

Highly inconvenient compared to just having an iPhone (which I love). It sounds fun to me regardless. Hopefully after this I'll be spending about $15 a month on phone instead of $90 and still get to keep all my apps!

Anyways, just gave more information than I needed to :)

If anyone can confirm that I'd have to match the $599 I'd appreciate it.

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

This is not true!!!

You do not have to pay the No Commitment price if you cancel. You just have to wait 30 days and then pay the ETF plus all other service charges and fees or port your number to another carrier and pay the ETF and all fees.

If you added two lines then you would have to pay the ETF on each line. Did your little brother get a "free" phone when you added his line? This is why you have to pay the ETF on his line. However, if it has been less than 30 days on his line you can just cancel and return his phone and not have to pay the ETF on his line.

If you want to keep your current AT&T phone number, just port it to T-Mobile and that will cancel your account. Make sure you understand that you still have to pay the ETF, possibly on both lines... even when you port your number. If your case it will be $170, since it decreases by $5 per month after the first 30 days.

Dave

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP, call AT&T to find out your options. Don't listen to US, b/c your situation is specific to you. My brother just canceled his 3GS iPhone, paid the EFT, and the difference on his 32GB iPhone from the subsidized price in order to keep the iPhone....:eek::eek::eek:

15. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry but your "brother" is pulling your leg. It may seem like you are almost paying the difference between the full subsidy and the No Commitment price but again it is not true!!!! You are just paying for service plus the ETF!

You just have to pay the ETF plus any usage fees, the last month of service is not pro-rated, so just enjoy the service and cancel on the last day of your billing cycle. This topic has been beat to death since last last year when the No Commitment prices were announced for the iPhone 3G but not available until March 25 of this year.

With the iPhone 3GS being offered on launch day, June 19 at a "No Commitment" price the debate continued since you can still save money by purchasing a new line and cancelling service, it will save you between $65 to $125 vs the No Commitment pricing.

Dave

16. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

And if it is, what is the problem.

17. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Sounds like an awesome idea. Especially if the OP ever wants to buy a house, or car, or rent an apartment, or get a credit card, etc.

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Either your brother got screwed or he's full o' crap. :)

19. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Absolutely BRILLIANT solution! :rolleyes: