Can I change AppleCare to a different AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Moof1904, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I'm sure the title wasn't clear, so here's more detail:

I bought AppleCare for a laptop (I'll call Laptop A) a few weeks ago and registered it and received the certificate from Apple and for reasons that are too complicated to go into here, I'd like to use the AppleCare that I already used for Laptop A for a same model but different laptop (Laptop B) and use an AppleCare just bought today for Laptop A.

Do you think if I call Apple and ask to do this they'll do so? One issue may be that in the past few weeks (after I bought and registered AppleCare), laptop A became more than one year old.

Note that I'm not trying to register AppleCare after the laptop turned one year old: I'm just trying to switch to a different AppleCare package on a laptop that already has AppleCare on it.

Thoughts?

2. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Only one way to find out.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) You, under the wire, purchased and activated AppleCare for 1 computer.
    2) You now want to apply a different AppleCare policy to that computer (which is now no longer eligible for activating AppleCare).

Why waste time asking here. Call Apple. And good luck with that one. :rolleyes:

4. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I do understand that the only real test is calling Apple. The reason I posted instead of calling is that I'm at work and I wanted to get a read from the room, so to speak, before going home and sitting on the phone with Apple.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

AFAIK you can't transfer warranties if you already registered it with a machine. It'd be interesting to see if Apple would do it though, let us know.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. You can't transfer AppleCare coverage from one device to another.
    2. You can transfer AppleCare coverage to a new owner of the same device, if you sell it.
    3. AppleCare coverage can not be applied to any device after the original warranty expires.
    So you can't do what you want to do.

7. grandeabc macrumors member

grandeabc

I had this same doubt also. Thank you to ask, thank to the other guys to clarify!:cool: