can i change hard Drive HHD to ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jack2, Dec 16, 2008.

1. jack2 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I am planing to get new Macbook 2.4GHz 4gb Ram 320gb HDD next month

my question is can i change the HDD to the ssd ??

my regards

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Sure as long as it's a 2.5" SATA and is within height maximum requirement of 9.5 mm. You won't be able to get one quite as big as 320GB yet but the 256GB are available. I saw one add where the price had been reduced to $10,417.11 but I've also seen some more reasonable around $7,000. Nothing money won't cure. -GDF

3. phoobo macrumors regular

Of course you can - they start around $170

Don't mind Mr. GratefulDead above, he's misplaced a decimal point or two. The 64 GB SSD drives start around $170 (128 GB is in the 300s), and the first thing I did was to put one in (couldn't stand the vibration of the stock HDD; one disadvantage of the unibody construction is that it doesn't dampen vibration as well).

The great Dansdata has a fresh review of some newer ones:

http://dansdata.com/ssds.htm

(Would recommend the 2.0 MB over the 2.4 - runs cooler and you won't notice the difference besides - and you're swapping the (larger) drive out anyway! The 2.0 is a *much* sweeter price point for what you get.)

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

May want to check out Tom's hardware guides and look at the SSD vs. HHD benchmarks before you drop that sort of cash.

BTW, the MB's come with 160 and 250 gig hard drives standard. The 320 is a BTO option. Why are you going to spend more money on an optional hard drive when you're planning on immediately replacing it?

Maybe a better bang for the buck would be a 7200 rpm notebook sata hard drive, like from WD, Seagate, Hitachi, etc. You can find them online for roughly a hundred bucks or so, and IMO you'll be able to tell a difference in bootup times, cold application launches, transferring larger files to disk, etc.

I think what a lot of people are doing is waiting for the price per gig and storage capability of the SSD's to improve before they shell out that sort of money for that little storage. Then again, there's a lot of people on the boards who're saying they're getting one now.

Unless you've money to carelessly burn through, do your research and make a well informed decision. Good luck!

5. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

I've never heard of that? I would like to know where you got that info from because I wouldn't have thought there was a difference :confused:

6. Big Mafoota macrumors member

Until the amount of writes an ssd can take before burning out improves I'm sticking with regular HDDs. It's not so bad if a memory stick goes but a full operating system going on the fritz would be a nightmare.

7. phoobo macrumors regular

you can bet the farm

A slower processor in the same class, all other things being equal, will run cooler - you can bet on it. The laws of thermodynamics are hard to break.

8. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Do you guys think that adding an SSD drive would noticeably increase the battery life? Anyone with an SSD care to comment?

9. MIKE666 macrumors regular

2 Deciaml Points???:D

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have the 2.4GHz and it runs very cool. My fans never go above 3800-4000 rpm (Max is 6200RPM) even under gaming such as CoD4 and other games under boot camp.

It does increase battery life if it doesn't require constant read of the storage drive. I notice when Im just listening to music constantly, the SSD gives worse battery life then a hard drive. Remember, hard drives have a cache, SSD doesn't. The SSD is also a "on" or "off" power setting, so its either using idle of 0.1watt or reading of xx watts, no middle as in a hard drive.