Can I change my white macbook original casing into the black one?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bman3221, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Bman3221 macrumors member

I have the 13" White Macbook but wanna change it to the original black case. I wanted to purchase it on eBay. Is that possible or not? I want to get the black one but the white macbook I have already has Adobe CS4/Microsoft Office 2008/Final Cut installed and I dont want to lose those programs because I really need them for graphic design.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You can buy upper/lower cases on eBay, sure. You won't lose your software since you'll only be changing the case, not the internals.

3. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Are the internals exactly the same as the new white book with 2.13ghz processor and the 9400m? I'd really like to turn my girlfriend's whitebook black, because they look so much better!

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think they may have changed the layout of the logic board internally when changing from x3100 to 9400m. I'm not sure though if that changed the screw patterns and whatnot as ifixit.com's guide for logic board replacement for a C2D WhiteBook doesn't cover the 9400m models.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

you may be able to, I know there was someone who had done it on here recently, but you may run into some problems, and if your not to technically inclined, I would advise against doing so.

6. Bman3221 thread starter macrumors member

what can i do if i can get a black macbook new or used if I have the software CD's? I have the Adobe CS4 CD. Can I uninstall the white macbook and exchange it to the other black macbook?

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you got a new computer, you can install software on it if you have the CDs. You don't have to remove it from the old computer, although not doing so is technically against the EULA.

8. akbc macrumors 6502

Instead, you can just... use the migration assistant/time machine to safely transfer all your applications safe and sound. (Although you will need to register some of the products one more time)

9. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

10. sonspot macrumors member

i was waiting for that,. thought mac was smart enough to update the drivers automatically,. if you own both MB and CD whats against EULA