Can i change SSD in MBA 11"

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
I believe you can use internet recovery or whatever it's called to install Lion.
Actually, no. You need to have a recovery disk made to use it after swapping the SSD. Or, you can use CarbonCopyCloner to make an image of the entire drive, and then re-image it to the new one.

komoornik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
2011 MBA's got special internet recovery.

They are able to download the data needed to create the recovery partition on a clean drive.

And then you can enter the recovery and install ( first download ) Lion.

fotonutz

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
2011 MBA's got special internet recovery.

They are able to download the data needed to create the recovery partition on a clean drive.

And then you can enter the recovery and install ( first download ) Lion.
But aren't the recovery partition residing in the SSD ? If you replace the SSD, the recovery partition will be gone unless Apple keeps the recovery partition in the motherboard......

Can anyone confirm this ? I'm planning to upgrade my stock 64GB SSD with the OWC SSD.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
thanks, and what about apple warranty? will i loose it?
As long as you retain the original Apple SSD, it should not be a problem.

If you take it to a Genius with a third party SSD in it, that's when problems will arise.

Other than that, they don't need to know, and will be none the wiser if you replace it before a visit.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Yes, it will void your warranty as its not considered a user replaceable component.
Actually no it won't. The new SSD won't be covered and any actual damage you cause during installation or any damage the SDD causes would not be covered but it's illegal for a manufacturer to void a warranty for the use of third party components in the USA. You might want to look up the magnison moss warranty act.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
I've swapped the ssd in my 2010 11" air and my current 2011 11" air.

Very simple process. In the 2010, I think you can reinstall lion off a dvd or USB stick.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I've swapped the ssd in my 2010 11" air and my current 2011 11" air.

Very simple process. In the 2010, I think you can reinstall lion off a dvd or USB stick.
Actually something cool that I learned since I swapped my Mac Mini to an SSD. You don't need an installation disk if you use Time Machine!

I was able to yank out the old 5400rpm dinosaur and put in a blazing SSD and just plug in the Time Machine disk and start up. It boots off the time machine disk (since its the only disk present that is bootable) and allows you to go into disk utility, format the new drive, and restore it from the Time Machine disk! No installation disk ever needed! Couldn't be easier!