Can i change SSD in MBA 11"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tigran77, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Tigran77, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

Tigran77 macrumors newbie

Tigran77

Yesterday i watched the video in youtube where in MBA 11" mid 2010 they changed the SSD. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgUPGt_rOuQ)
    So, i have the MBA 11" mid 2011 and its have 64gb SSD, and i want change to 128gb or bigger. So can i do it? Thanks

2. Tigran77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tigran77

And what about MAC OS installing? As far as i know, mac os x is installed on SSD from manufacturer. And only way to install mac os to your MBA is from SSD. So, when i will change my ssd to new clean ssd, how i will install mac os to my mba? And what about warranty?

3. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I believe you can use internet recovery or whatever it's called to install Lion.

4. Tigran77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tigran77

thanks, and what about apple warranty? will i loose it?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, it will void your warranty as its not considered a user replaceable component.

6. Robyr macrumors regular

Actually, no. You need to have a recovery disk made to use it after swapping the SSD. Or, you can use CarbonCopyCloner to make an image of the entire drive, and then re-image it to the new one.

7. komoornik macrumors regular

2011 MBA's got special internet recovery.

They are able to download the data needed to create the recovery partition on a clean drive.

And then you can enter the recovery and install ( first download ) Lion.

8. fotonutz macrumors newbie

But aren't the recovery partition residing in the SSD ? If you replace the SSD, the recovery partition will be gone unless Apple keeps the recovery partition in the motherboard......

Can anyone confirm this ? I'm planning to upgrade my stock 64GB SSD with the OWC SSD.

9. komoornik macrumors regular

Haven't tried it myself coz I didn't wipe or take off the drive.

I've tried running the internet recovery though - it's got very simple interface, so I believe it can be stored with EFI.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

10. fotonutz macrumors newbie

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

As long as you retain the original Apple SSD, it should not be a problem.

If you take it to a Genius with a third party SSD in it, that's when problems will arise.

Other than that, they don't need to know, and will be none the wiser if you replace it before a visit.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You can buy OWC replacement flash memory...but it is SO expensive its not worth it! If you want just under a TB it will cost you more than a MBA.

13. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Actually no it won't. The new SSD won't be covered and any actual damage you cause during installation or any damage the SDD causes would not be covered but it's illegal for a manufacturer to void a warranty for the use of third party components in the USA. You might want to look up the magnison moss warranty act.

14. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I've swapped the ssd in my 2010 11" air and my current 2011 11" air.

Very simple process. In the 2010, I think you can reinstall lion off a dvd or USB stick.

15. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Actually something cool that I learned since I swapped my Mac Mini to an SSD. You don't need an installation disk if you use Time Machine!

I was able to yank out the old 5400rpm dinosaur and put in a blazing SSD and just plug in the Time Machine disk and start up. It boots off the time machine disk (since its the only disk present that is bootable) and allows you to go into disk utility, format the new drive, and restore it from the Time Machine disk! No installation disk ever needed! Couldn't be easier!