can i change that 'ugly' platinum-grey appearance in SL?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

I'm not really diggin this gray window look. All I see in the appearance prefs is either 'blue' or 'graphite', which as far as I can tell, merely changes the color of the little buttons on the upper right side....and then there just the highlight color. I don't get it....shouldn't there be more options...outside of some kind of third party tinkering tool?

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

You can change between blue & graphite, change the icons, screen saver and desktop picture.
    Mac users don't work full screen so the desktop is usually visible either side of the open window & blends in nicely.

No third party skinning apps available for Leopard or Snow Kitty although that may change in the future if you want to risk it.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The look isn't new... it's been in Leopard since it was introduced. But no, there isn't much you can do short of third party changes which likely aren't available for Snow Leopard yet.

4. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

actually the windows aren't that bad. its more safari. the color is very bland and muddy.

maybe its my imagination. been using tiger for two years and installed SL and and mainly been just using safari and thats more the bad color i'm noticing

i mean i never gave it much thought till now for some reason. the difference between choosing blue or graphite is stupifingly minimal, yeah?

the window stays platinum. just the buttons and menu highlights change.
    i think i had way more options pre osx. hmmmmm

thats weird...you'd think you'd be able to change colors all over the place....

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

... i don't think you have noticed that almost every window looks like safari.....

6. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

well finder windows do have a bit brighter sparkly appearance while safari has more of a low tide mud look

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Firstly, it's Snow Leopard...

[​IMG]

... ok I feel slightly better now.

And secondly, incorrect on no third party skinning apps available for Leopard. See: Magnifique

(Note I said for Leopard, not Snow Leopard. They're working on a update, though.)

8. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

# DO NOT use Magnifique on Snow Leopard

8/10/2009
    WARNING: DO NOT use Magnifique on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. It's almost certain that it will mess up your system beyond repair.

We are planning a complete rewrite of Magnifique once Snow Leopard is released. Thanks for everyone's support

Oh Well.... :D

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Sorry, I said Leopard, but not Snow Leopard, but I should've made that clear (he said there's no theming for both Leopard and Snow Leopard, which is wrong)

But like you said they're working on it, so you should be rid of the ugly platinum look soon :)

10. 11800506 macrumors 65816

If the problem's mostly Safari you could try Firefox with a custom theme.

11. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

for the past 2 years i use firefox 90%. then, under tiger, when i updated safari to 4.0.3, it broke...just beachball city...a guy showed me a way to fix it but... i need to be using opendns's ip addresses. if i take them out, it beachballs again and i have to go thru the process of trashing a bunch of files blah blah

so now with SL, since i haven't installed FF, think i'm going on the safari as my main browser... probably cause SL is a *new* and *fresh* ;)