Can I choose what to back up with TimeMachine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v2club, Jan 5, 2012.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I wanna use 32GB USB memory stick as a time machine, cuz I only need to backup some of the things on my MBP but not all of them, but I'm not sure if there is an option to choose what or everything gets backed up wether I like it or not.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

in time machine, you can exclude some folders and directories from being backed up. For your purposes I would look into alternative backup programs allow you to select what to back up.

3. simsaladimbamba

You could also look into DropBox (it gives you 2 GB for free), if you only need to backup text documents and some media.
    Or look into CarbonCopyCloner, as it can also do scheduled backups of selected folders.

Time Machine FAQ

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'd also suggest against using flash memory for Time Machine given how often it generates and deletes backups.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yeah, this will make the flash memory fail after how many backups? Hundred thousand? That would be 10 years of hourly backups.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

You can also use Box.net and SugarSync (both give 5GB) although DropBox is easiest in my opinion. I use box.net to upload PDF's and throw all the unorganized/unnecessary material there as I have 50Gb to waste (they gave 50GB storage for free to those who downloaded the iOS app when iCloud was released – too bad your upload limit is set to 100MB).