Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
hello again folks...

now that the refresh is finally here, I've decided to once again attempt to buy a baseline imac...

I tried a couple months back, but they were plagued with issues. One feature that I didn't like was the noisy hard drives:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/806850/

I replaced it 3 times...the last 2 being noisy hitachi hard drives...

it seems the western digital drive is the least noisy...the problem is making sure I'm gonna get one...

can I call up apple and ask for a specific hard drive?

I'm tired of rolling the dice on a computer that's going to be in my life for 5+ years...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can always ask but I doubt they can do such thing. If it turns out to be noisy, take it to the nearest Apple Store and ask if they can replace it with WD drive

Knives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
You can always ask but I doubt they can do such thing. If it turns out to be noisy, take it to the nearest Apple Store and ask if they can replace it with WD drive

I don't see why they would, seeing as when I went back all they offered was a refund...

the problem is that there is technically nothing wrong with it...

I don't understand why they insist on using 3 different brands of hard drives...

:mad:

Knives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
I suppose...:eek:

well anywho, guess I'll just go for it...

calling them up will most likely be a waste of time...

wish me luck...

and thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.