can i clean instal os lion without needing to create an install DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Pc2mac2011, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Pc2mac2011 macrumors member

i searched how to clean install lion on this form and i only found threads on how to do it after creating an install dvd!
    is a must for formatting I'm really not bothered creating one if i don't have to!

2. Pc2mac2011 thread starter macrumors member

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

4. simsaladimbamba

Unless you bought a Mac with Lion, which has a recovery partition on it (the installer itself),, you have to create some installation medium, and be it only a partition on your Mac where you clone the installer to.

A clean install deletes all data on the selected partition, thus the installer needs to reside on another partition or medium, thus it gets not deleted by the clean installation procedure, as a clean install deletes all data on the selected partition, thus the installer needs to reside on another partition or medium, thus it gets not deleted by the clean installation procedure, as a clean install deletes all data on the selected partition, thus the installer needs to reside on another partition or medium, thus it gets not deleted by the clean installation procedure, as a clean install deletes all data ...

5. Pc2mac2011 thread starter macrumors member

how about if i use my snow leopard discs that came with my mac and then re install lion from the app store! would that work?

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

in theory that would work, why are you against making the flash drive recory it takes 2 minutes and you only need a 1GB drive to make it, they cost like $4 plus if you ever have your hard drive ever completley crashes and you install a new one you will need the flash drive to install Lion

8. Pc2mac2011 thread starter macrumors member

i just thought it might be complicated, and i actually thought u don't need one for fresh install!
    well i guess I'm gone do it now thanks for ur help!

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

np and nope they made it simple, use the Lion recovery assistant in utilites its as simple as plugging in a usb flash drive of 1GB or higher and hiting next

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

silly question alert.

Can it be an SD card in place of a USB flash drive.