Can I clean install Snow Leopard without reinstalling tons of software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rickruss, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rickruss macrumors newbie

If I put this in the wrong place, I am new to this forum so I apologize. I learn quickly.

I am a graphic designer and therefore have a LOT of software (Adobe, Quark, the usual suspects). I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard on my G5 with 16G of RAM. I have made a copy of my 500GB startup drive with Carbon Copy Cloner and I am ready to wipe the original disc and make it happen. But before I start, can I drag and drop my applications and library folders so I don't have to reinstall everything?

Thanks in advance for good news...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. rickruss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

Thanks for the response, but my G5 is an Intel beast. I am pretty sure I meet all the requirements to install SL, I am just trying to save valuable time, if possible.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can you post a screen shot from  -> About this Mac? G5 is NOT Intel based

5. rickruss thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad...

It's a Mac Pro...I must've regressed. Sorry.

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

If you have another external drive you can clone your machine to it using Carbon Copy Cloner (maybe a half-hour). Check and make sure it can boot your laptop by holding the option key on start-up and selecting the external disk.
    Then install a fresh SL on the laptop, then after restart and when prompted, select the hard drive as the source for migration. All your apps and settings and keys and such will come over intact.
    That's one way to do it.
    Another way is to simply re-install the apps one at a time, culling the ones you never use.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If that's the case, you can just drag&drop App folder or make a TM backup and use Migration Assistant

8. Extreme343GS macrumors newbie

SL not PPC compatible.

G5 or even a super computer. SL does not work on PPC. No work arounds i'm afraid.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You might want to remove your serial number from your screenshot. It's not a good idea to have it publicly visible.

10. rickruss thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooops...

Thanks for pointing that out, Red...I didn't even think to check.

I am going to try the Time Machine and Migration Assistant. Hopefully that will save some time and headaches. I reserve the right to log back in desperation. :eek: