Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Can I clean the screen with window cleaning without harming it? its glass so it should work right'?

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
I do and have for years. I think it works a lot better than water. It really doesn't matter, just be smart - don't spray directly onto the screen. Damp a cloth with water/cleaner and wipe away.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I just use a damp microfiber rag. Works perfectly for getting the kitten nose prints off the screen

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Don't use any old cleaning solution. They can sometimes do more harm then good and water will do just fine.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
'Window Cleaner' is a pretty broad term..

Being as 'Window Cleaner' is a pretty broad term, I would say MAYBE, BUT what are the ingredients..??!! :confused: GLASS is a pretty tough creature, unless you are Hitting it hard..

But, I have had a MBP (several of) since Apr-06, and cleaned them all with a slightly dampened soft (terry-towel/ micro-fiber like) cloth, possibly with a bit of the mildest soap nearby.. if it will not harm my skin, I am pretty sure it is SAFE on Aluminum, Plastic and Glass.. :D

Other than that, I also recommend cleaning regularly, which would include possibly vacuuming the Keyboard with a low suction vacuum w/ a brush on the nozzle, or a paint brush to bring up the 'dusty bits' that surely collect no matter HOW clean it looks.. One Look inside to see the Fans and Cooling Tunnels will confirm how well you 'houseclean' around it!! ;) :apple:

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Being as 'Window Cleaner' is a pretty broad term, I would say MAYBE, BUT what are the ingredients..??!! :confused: GLASS is a pretty tough creature, unless you are Hitting it hard..

But, I have had a MBP (several of) since Apr-06, and cleaned them all with a slightly dampened soft (terry-towel/ micro-fiber like) cloth, possibly with a bit of the mildest soap nearby.. if it will not harm my skin, I am pretty sure it is SAFE on Aluminum, Plastic and Glass.. :D

Other than that, I also recommend cleaning regularly, which would include possibly vacuuming the Keyboard with a low suction vacuum w/ a brush on the nozzle, or a paint brush to bring up the 'dusty bits' that surely collect no matter HOW clean it looks.. One Look inside to see the Fans and Cooling Tunnels will confirm how well you 'houseclean' around it!! ;) :apple:

I was thinking the kind you use on windows that smells harsh. like this
http://www.colgate.se/products/householdcare/_img/window/img_hc_ajax_tripleactionspray.jpg

It says it works well on glas and mirrors

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I personally would avoid any harsh chemicals and just use a moist soft cloth

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Used Windex on my iMac one time, took forever to get rid of all the streaks. It's meant for glass not plastic

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
I would just use water. I nearly ruined the screen of my MBP in the first few weeks I had it because I was obsessing over every finger mark, and I have the matte screen. So I took to it with 72% alcohol (idiotic idea... ;) ) and it left gray streaks all over my screen. I was panicking because nothing I did would fix it until I spent about an hour literally rubbing every inch of the screen with my thumb. Somehow that made the streaks go away.

I would just stick to water. ;)

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
I use eyeglass lens cleaning spray and a soft cloth on my screen. It says it is safe for coated lenses. Never had a problem and it does a good job.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I use screen cleaning solution on the screen and body of the laptop without any issues.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Frankly, what you spray (till the time its for everyday glass) shouldn't matter as much. The important thing to remember is to not spray directly on screen.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Used Windex on my iMac one time, took forever to get rid of all the streaks. It's meant for glass not plastic

I've seen this, it's a pain to get rid of. This is why I recommend only water.

Just a note for people, the screens are glass, but they have special coatings on them so a cleaning solution that's "ok"/made for glass is not necessarily good to use on Apple's displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.