Can I clean the Mac with window cleaning?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anitramane, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Can I clean the screen with window cleaning without harming it? its glass so it should work right'?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wouldn't. A soft cloth should be enough on its own.

3. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

A microfiber cloth dampened with a little water is all you should need.

4. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I do and have for years. I think it works a lot better than water. It really doesn't matter, just be smart - don't spray directly onto the screen. Damp a cloth with water/cleaner and wipe away.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if you do spray it on the rag or wipe that you will use, do not spray it right onto the screen.

6. NukeIT macrumors regular

I just use a damp microfiber rag. Works perfectly for getting the kitten nose prints off the screen

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Don't use any old cleaning solution. They can sometimes do more harm then good and water will do just fine.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Some harsh chemical based cleaning products will remove the protective coating on the glass. Just wipe over with a damp microfiber cloth.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

'Window Cleaner' is a pretty broad term..

Being as 'Window Cleaner' is a pretty broad term, I would say MAYBE, BUT what are the ingredients..??!! :confused: GLASS is a pretty tough creature, unless you are Hitting it hard..

But, I have had a MBP (several of) since Apr-06, and cleaned them all with a slightly dampened soft (terry-towel/ micro-fiber like) cloth, possibly with a bit of the mildest soap nearby.. if it will not harm my skin, I am pretty sure it is SAFE on Aluminum, Plastic and Glass.. :D

Other than that, I also recommend cleaning regularly, which would include possibly vacuuming the Keyboard with a low suction vacuum w/ a brush on the nozzle, or a paint brush to bring up the 'dusty bits' that surely collect no matter HOW clean it looks.. One Look inside to see the Fans and Cooling Tunnels will confirm how well you 'houseclean' around it!! ;) :apple:

12. Anitramane thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking the kind you use on windows that smells harsh. like this
    http://www.colgate.se/products/householdcare/_img/window/img_hc_ajax_tripleactionspray.jpg

It says it works well on glas and mirrors

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I personally would avoid any harsh chemicals and just use a moist soft cloth

14. robvas macrumors 68020

Used Windex on my iMac one time, took forever to get rid of all the streaks. It's meant for glass not plastic

15. nitromac macrumors 6502

I would just use water. I nearly ruined the screen of my MBP in the first few weeks I had it because I was obsessing over every finger mark, and I have the matte screen. So I took to it with 72% alcohol (idiotic idea... ;) ) and it left gray streaks all over my screen. I was panicking because nothing I did would fix it until I spent about an hour literally rubbing every inch of the screen with my thumb. Somehow that made the streaks go away.

I would just stick to water. ;)

16. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I use eyeglass lens cleaning spray and a soft cloth on my screen. It says it is safe for coated lenses. Never had a problem and it does a good job.

17. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I use screen cleaning solution on the screen and body of the laptop without any issues.

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

Frankly, what you spray (till the time its for everyday glass) shouldn't matter as much. The important thing to remember is to not spray directly on screen.

19. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I've seen this, it's a pain to get rid of. This is why I recommend only water.

Just a note for people, the screens are glass, but they have special coatings on them so a cleaning solution that's "ok"/made for glass is not necessarily good to use on Apple's displays.