Can I clear out this 'places' list?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AshUK, Nov 19, 2010.

1. AshUK macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

When I select a picture to save, it brings up the 'save' box, but takes a short time to allow me to do anything while it compiles a list of files under the 'places' tab on the left. I wouldn't normally mind this, but it takes about 30 seconds or so, and as far as I can see (through searching in the finder), all of these files were deleted a long time ago. Is there any way I can clear this list, or if they are still on my Macbook, how can I find them!

Here's what I'm talking about (and under that there are about 300 more filenames!) :

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

Ash

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as the "Places" section in the Sidebar is only a placeholder for aliases, thus you don't delete any files. Btw, how did 300 files end up there?

3. AshUK thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea! That is what i was hoping someone here could help me with!

Is there anyway to make it 'disappear' though?!

Cheers

Ash

4. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Have you tried dragging them off one by one? I'm not sure of a way to clear them all at once.

5. AshUK thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just coming back to say that's what I just tried, and it's worked so far. They don't reappear afterwards, and for some reason when dragged into the trash, instead of making the usual paper in the trash noise, it makes almost like a blowing noise. Also I can't figure out how to get rid of more than one at a time - oh well, should keep me busy!

Cheers

Ash

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to drag them to the Trash... just drag them off the sidebar and let go. They're just aliases (shortcuts), so there's no file to show up in the Trash.

7. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Yeah I had to explain this same thing to a friend. Just drag them somewhere outside of the window, to your desktop maybe. They'll disappear, similar to how dragging apps off the dock crinkle up.