Can I clone a Bootcamp partition to a PC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Gjwilly, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Every tutorial I can find is for going from Windows to Bootcamp but I want to do the opposite.
    I have an existing Bootcamp partition that I want to migrate to an actual PC.
    Anybody got any tips on how I can do that?
    Thanks

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Can you believe that? That is what I suppose to do after a few days. Amazing.

My thought is using backup software available under Windows to backup windows in here, and restore it to another machine. I think this could help.

3. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

A BootCamp partition is just a normal Windows partition. You can use any software which supports cloning Windows across Harddisks / SSD´s.

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

But I think it is needed to take care of boot manager when cloning it to a new PC. Boot information on Mac is stored inside their EFI partition.

5. macenied, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Good disk cloning software should be able to do that. If you have issues though, boot the destination system from Windows installation media and let Setup repair the boot information ( automatic ). Worked for me.

BootCamp on Windows is just an Apple driver collection. BootCamp Windows is nothing special.

6. Gjwilly thread starter macrumors 68030

So the only problem will be the completely different set of drivers, right?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can get around some of the driver problem by SysPrepping the OS when it is still on the Mac before it is transferred to the non-Mac.

8. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Most likely. Licensing may be another one. If the destination is not a Mac, uninstall BootCamp on destination.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Hmm. Good thought. Thanks.

I have seen there are possible boot camp issues since destination maybe not a Mac computer. If users use Windows 10, he can try refreshing the machine with literally all applications removed, including boot camp.

But yeah. I will have a try on that.

10. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

I don't think you will have issues because the destination is not a Mac. Uninstalling bootcamp should help to keep the PC clean ( applehfs.sys, the special keyboard with its special function keys, ... ). Let us know :)