Can I close the Air while it's encrypting the drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RealSkyDiver, Aug 13, 2011.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I wanna do a full disc-encryption with Lion but don't wanna have my MBA open all night so can I just close the lid during the lengthy encryption process?

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

No, that will put the computer to sleep, which will cancel the operation.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Are you sure about that? I think once you get past the initial setup, it will consider it to be working and won't sleep it - because of the tie in with a separate boot process to do the encryption....

Never thought about it though.. I'd just turn the brightness down all the way and say goodnight

4. dtjm macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that I closed my Macbook Air before the drive was fully encrypted. I think it is able to encrypt while you are working on it, on the fly. I just expected it to do the right thing, and it seems like it did (System Preferences says my drive is encrypted).

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Closing the lid does not "Cancel" the operation. It might suspend it, but not cancel it.

Once you start FV2, you can use the machine as normal. It will continue encrypting your data and keep track of what is encrypted and what has not been encrypted yet.

Having said that... I wanted mine to run overnight. I would prefer the encryption to take place when I was not using the machine for anything else... rather than running in the background while the machine was otherwise in use.

/Jim