Can I completely disable password saving in Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ZVH, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ZVH macrumors 6502

I recently noticed that either some web sites or Safari appear to be saving my passwords without my permission to do so. For example, if I log in to my bank account, my user ID and password are pre-filled out. This is a laptop computer and if it was ever lost or stolen, all anyone would need to do would be open up to my banks page and then have instant access to my accounts.

I do not remember ever allowing this to happen, it's almost as if either the web site or the browser simply decided to do it.

I want password saving completely disabled. Is this doable? Are they being stored in the keychain?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Turn on private browsing and that should fix your issues.

You can also set your privacy settings so that its not retained in Preferences>Privacy.

If its a laptop, I strongly recommend you use FileVault, this will ensure that any thief will not be able to access the drive contents.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes it's in Keychain, which means if you use a login password for your account the info is safe if your computer is stolen. Even if someone resets your admin password through a utility boot, your keychain retains your old password so they can't access it - just reset it (deleting all your passwords).

And yes you can turn it off. Safari menu > Preferences > Auto Fill uncheck User Names & Passwords. Use Edit to delete ones already stored.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go to this screen in Safari prefs and uncheck User names and passwords. Then click the edit button to the right to bring up a window where you can remove the ones that have already been saved.

[​IMG]

Edit: Missed FE's last sentence. Repeat.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

As someone else mentioned, the best way to secure your passwords is to enable Firevault--then you don't have to deal with individual apps saving sensitive information here and there--it is all protected. :)